The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2013, 02:40 PM   #1
SirHerc

7.62x39 / Yugo SKS / .311 Bore / HELP!

I have a YUGO SKS and I slugged the bore and I was happy to find it was .311 since I already cast .311 for my Mosin Nagant. However, after doing some research I find that the 185gr cast projectiles that work in my Mosin so very well may be to heavy for my SKS. So, what I need to know is dose anyone out there use the LEE C312-185-1R in 7.62x39 loads and do you find them to be a worth while load?

Im using wheel weight alloy with some plumbers lead free solder I add that makes for a very nice mix. They have adequate hardness and though they are supposed to be 185gr sometimes they run a bit LIGHT usually between 181.5 and 182.

P.S. Before anyone says " WHY RELOAD 7.62x39 " and all the crap about that I usually see let me just say this. Right now I wosh I could reload and cast .22 Long Rifle and so dose every reloader I talk to so just clam up!

Last edited by SirHerc; August 26, 2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old August 26, 2013, 04:33 PM   #2
SonOfGun

OK, I clamed up!
Old August 26, 2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Rangefinder

It's not the weight that could hurt you--my Lee 312-160-2R finishes at 173gr. It's the length that may not work well. If, when you seat to fit the magazine, the base is below the neck--you run risk of gas cutting (which means severe leading). If the base is NOT below the neck, try 15gr. H335 as a starting load to produce cycling, and ladder up till you're happy. Even on that heavy of a bullet you won't hit max till about 26gr. and you should see good performance well before that. As far as "too heavy" goes... it's nonsense. I have a cycling load for my AK with a 220gr. bullet. Not gonna tell you how I get beyond seating deep and gas cutting just yet though .

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old August 26, 2013, 05:11 PM   #4
chiefr

There is nothing wrong with reloading the 7.62x39. Flashback prior to circa late 80s. The was no ammo at all. I have been reloading this number for 30 years that is until cheap import ammo became available.
I have never tried casts with this cartridge and SKS?AK. My concern would be clogging the gas port.
Old August 26, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
chris in va

If I may add something...

I reloaded cast for my Saiga which has a similar gas system. Two problems, chasing reloadable brass at the range was an exercise in futility and after two 30rd mags, a lead ring formed around my gas piston and locked up the action solid.

The 155gr wheelweight bullets were sized at 311 and gas checked.
Old August 26, 2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Rangefinder

Quote:
I have never tried casts with this cartridge and SKS?AK. My concern would be clogging the gas port.
Admittedly, it takes WORK to develop a good performing cast load--those buggers are nearly indestructible, so that helps. 1) FIT IS KING. If the bullet isn't sized right, you're going to lead--likely you're going to lead badly. 2)Alloy must be adequate for the pressures involved. That's a given for any cast. 3) Lube must be adequate for the length of bore you're pushing through and conditions it has to withstand. Also, a given with ANY cast bullet. The rest is just norm for developing a load. Personally, my AK hasn't digested more than a few jacketed bullets in years--cast bullets I dare not even count. It runs like no other. What I've developed lately has it even running 160's at scorching velocities VERY accurately without any sign of lead fouling--but that's a different discussion. It all depends what you put in as to what you'll get out of any project. Mine has paid back heavily.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old August 26, 2013, 06:56 PM   #7
skizzums

my brother and i did the cast lead 7.62x39 reloaded into steel cases. drilling the primer hole and using nail polish to hold in the new primers. we did 1k rounds, gased with freechex and soda cans. shot out of vz58 and my sks pup, we had some primer issues, but not issues with leading. we used lyman #8 alloy that we purchased. hardness was 18. i say go for it, and keep it clean, after a couple hundred rounds, do a full break down and CLEAN YOUR PISTON and make sure all is well. if you have any issues, try adding more tin than you are using and antimony.
Old August 26, 2013, 08:57 PM   #8
SirHerc

Great Inout so far I need more. Let me add more detial.

Now from what I see on here so far I need to most closely monitor the following.

OAL: To feed from mag to chamber they must seated to proper OAL however if they are to deeply seated this will cause "gas cutting" which is a ledding issues. Also, I recognize that it is potentially dangerous.

Hardness: Check my boolit hardness to mitigate potential ledding issues. Adding tin and antimony will increase hardness.

Lube: Chamber to muzzle exit the boolit needs to hold enough lube to "greese" its trip down the barrel and out of the gun. (this boolit is intended for .303 british loads most of which are rather long guns. The grease ring on this boolit should hole plenty of lube for a short SKS barrel I would think.)

So, if these are the main issues I need to address THEN the boolit I want to use should be safe to load with even though its in the 180 to 185 grain area as far as weight. I am trying to paraphrase so I am certian I understand this before I go cast and reload these. I am VERY BIG ON BEING SAFE!

I just now put the calipers on a batch of the boolits in question that I recently cast. Even though LEE says they should be .312 they are .314 my die may be off or something. Anyhow, at .314 they will have a very snug fit with the twists in my SKS, perhaps to tight? But a snug fit is good to advoid ledding so that may be in my favor.

I am a bit OCD when it comes to my tools and to me my guns are tools (as well as a hobby and past time) so my SKS is cleaner than you could possibly imagine. I do a complete "prade rest" cleaning every time it travels to and from the range weather I shoot 10 rounds or 1000. So ledding is not a concern because frankly if it is happening I will see it every range trip and I will be able to adjust. The boolits I cast are QUENCHED alsoI forgot to mention that.

I am anxious for any additional thoughts that are out there. I am new to reloading with cast boolits. I started with the Mosin and .45 ACP months ago and that was quite easy to learn but loading cast for an SKS is proving to be a delecate balance in contrast to those 2 calibers.

Last edited by SirHerc; August 26, 2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old August 27, 2013, 07:57 AM   #9
skizzums

.314 is pretty snug. are you using a .312 sizing die? how long have the bullets been sitting since you cast? they can shrink/expand over time, like a week. i have heard if your die is spitting them out a little too large you can bake your die at 400 degrees for a couple hours and water quench it to get it down .001, but definetly check with one of the old school guys about that. .314 in a .311 barrell can cause quite a bit of pressure, although i don't think your going to blow up a yugo, but i reckon saftey first.
Old August 28, 2013, 01:55 AM   #10
John C

Is your rifle one of the Yugos with the grenade launching cup on the muzzle? If so, your rifle has a gas cutoff valve, so you can turn it into a single shot, straight pull rifle. This will prevent you from having to chase your brass across the firing line. Also, it makes it easier to single load cartridges that won't fit in your magazine.

Using bullets so far over the designed weight of the bullets in the round may cause issues with port pressures and functioning. Too much port pressure, and you can bend or break the op rod. Too little, and the rifle won't function. I don't know about you, but I don't have the data or knowledge to determine the correct powder or load data to get the correct port pressure using a 185 gr bullet in a system designed for 125 grain bullets. This is where the gas cutoff valve might come in handy.

I'm very interested in hearing about what you come up with.
Old August 28, 2013, 09:27 PM   #11
SirHerc

What I have come up with is this.

A new lee mould for .312 designed for 7.62x39 is only like $30.00 tomarrow I am buying one lol. All the comments here mede me just realize that with all the variables the best thing I can do is cast and load the right size for a time and then try larger heavier boolits when I have begun to know the reloading of that round like I know my Mosin and 45's. I wanted to use the one mould for both but with the boolits running a tight .314 to my .311 bore and being heavy I think it best to try something more well known first.

-George S. Patton
Old August 28, 2013, 10:23 PM   #12
skizzums

i'm sure your making the right decision there. cheaper than dirt has lee molds for like 19.00.