The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2013, 11:12 AM   #26
Ozzieman

Friends can be annoying!
I have several friends that constantly ask me to reload for them and they will pay me for it.
I always come back that they can come over, with their brass, their bullets, their powder and their primers and use my reloading equipment and get their first lesson on reloading from some one that has been doing it for over 30 years.
Any guess on how many have taken me up on the offer???

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old September 1, 2013, 02:06 PM   #27
Forrest68

I was just asken the question, not being clever, just round her thats how people got around the lack of Liquor liscense for parties, just curious if that the same concept would apply to this situation. I understand the liability, but some of the examples seem far fetched, I have yet to hear a ammo company being sued due to an accidental shooting, they didn't pull the trigger after all. I tend to be lets say overly Logical about things , so I'm alway curious as to what other think.

I'd have taken you up on that offer Ozzie, I had a friend that made hand twisted flemish strings for recurve bow, I asked him if he'd make one for me, he said he do one better come over and he'd show me how to make my own. I now have my own jig and have made dozens of handmade stings now.
Old September 1, 2013, 02:25 PM   #28
Reloader2

Local gun shop visit

I recently heard of a judge finding somebody accountable for sending a text message that somebody else read while driving which led to an accident. The direction this country is heading there is not a whole lot of things that can be considered far fetched anymore.
Old September 1, 2013, 02:27 PM   #29
Revoltella

It's more than just the manufacturers FFL and insurance. There's also a tax paid to the State Dept for some UN treaty regarding ammunition. IIRC, It's like $2500, probably more.

A LGS here started making ammo for sale in the drought fter the 2008 election. Once they were told about this additional fee, they ceased and desisted.
Old September 1, 2013, 05:59 PM   #30
BigJimP

I don't know if an ammo mfg has been sued or not ...when a gun blows up with their ammo in it.....( but they have lots of attourneys on staff to fight it, claim it was a shooter error, not their ammo, etc )...

and remember - the cost of the defense -- can get really expensive / and if you reloaded for someone ( you are not a mfg - you didn't have the license, permits, commercial insurance, etc )...so you're relying on your renters or homeowners insurance for liability coverge - and many homeowners insurance policies ( and you don't have to make a profit ) - would consider it a business venture...and it might not be a covered loss - so you wouldn't get Defense from them under the liability portion of your homeowners insurance...let alone a payment if you were found liable...and even if you do get defense and some payoff to the injured party in the end ...how much liability insurance do people carry on their homeowners ...$ 100,000 ...maybe $ 300,000..../ ( maybe they have an Umbrella policy for another million on top of the $100,000 ...so then they might be ok )....

but the real question, if you're sued, is do you have any coverage at all ....or does the defense to fight it just coming out of your savings and your check book...and is it worth it...