The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2013, 10:33 PM   #1
loademwell

Home Made Media?

In an other post, I just found out I was not supposed to buy Ground Corn media for this polisher.

New question: Anyone have any good recipes (Home made preferred) of the liquid to use in these things?

Can you just run H2O? Does anyone have the store bought stuff for this and if so, What does it say thats the working ingredients?

Pic: Under this one

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531361
Old August 24, 2013, 05:18 AM   #2
Airman Basic

A dollop of Dawn dishwashing liquid and maybe a bit of citric acid if your water is hard.
Old August 24, 2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Scimmia

Just to be clear, you do not have a polisher, you have a cleaner. It will clean very well, but it will not polish. Similarly, you're not looking for a "media" recipe, you're looking for a cleaning solution recipe.
Old August 24, 2013, 01:49 PM   #4
chiefr

I have added 3M rubbing or polishing compound to my media with excellent results. This is the same material used to remove orange peel and buff out auto paint.
Comes in quart bottles at auto paint retailers. IMHO, the fine grit polishes are no different then what Lyman or Dillon sells and costs less.
Old August 24, 2013, 06:35 PM   #5
cryogenic419

Along those same lines, some of those auto paint polishes work WAY better than what the gun folks are providing. Tried one of them that I actually use on my car when detailing it in my media once, SUPER bright and shiny brass. I need to order more of it because I ran out and haven't needed to touch the car lately.
Old August 25, 2013, 12:29 AM   #6
Scimmia

And to prove my point, the two post above this one have absolutely nothing to do with what you're asking for. Car polish in an ultrasonic cleaner? Really?
Old August 26, 2013, 01:33 PM   #7
BigJimP

If you guys look at the link on his post ...he has a liquid, ultra sonic cleaner...
( clean your cases, your jewelry, etc....) ..???
---------------
No, I don't know of a "home made" cleaning solution....
--------------------
I don't recommend these liquid cleaners --- to clean spent cases ( they're a pain in the butt, to get all the moisture out of the cases,,,)....and as far as cleaning solution, I'd suggest you look at the mfg's directions for the machine - and use what they recommend - before you branch out and try to make up your own solution.
Old August 26, 2013, 02:48 PM   #8
JimDandy

I would not be surprised if some water and Dawn worked. I would not risk MY cleaner by testing it. If I had one. I far prefer the stainless pin method for brass.

Additionally, it may depend on what you're cleaning. Hornady has several of those machines on the market, and they sell two distinct and different solutions. Gun cleaner, and alternatively Brass cleaner.