The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2013, 01:25 PM   #1
skizzums

making your own primers

this on youtube. good knowledge for doomsday i guess, but i didn't see a range test. interesting nonetheless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0jxpLH8FtY
Old August 18, 2013, 08:03 PM   #2
A pause for the COZ

A 100 years after SHTF. Flint Locks will be the guns of choice. You can make ball, you can make powder. Primers will be the 1st unattainable ( or at least very hard to get)item.
Old August 18, 2013, 09:49 PM   #3
snuffy

Strike anywhere match heads are corrosive. A firearm fired with a shell primed with match heads, would have to be immediately cleaned with hot soapy water. Much as they were when fired with black powder.

Also, they would be very unreliable. Maybe it's just me, but I want a gun to fire every time I pull the trigger.

Making of lead styphonate priming mix would be a very bad idea. It's extremely powerful and hard to make. ½ pound of it would level a good sized house.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 18, 2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Jimmy10mm

In Major Earl Narramore's book on reloading he had a write up on how they make primers. At that time they had guys in little bunkers who worked alone. No margin for error or the workman was toast .... literally. Then again, might have been Phil Sharpe's book. Been a long time since I read it.
Old August 19, 2013, 01:48 AM   #5
MEATSAW

BTW he does test fire the primer in the "part 2" video segment.
Old August 19, 2013, 08:15 AM   #6
David Bachelder

A long arduous task and the reward is small. But it was interesting and thank you for posting.

I think the white part of the modern match is Potassium Chlorate and Sulfur? I know the accelerant is Potassium Chlorate, not sure what the fuel is.

The older matches used phosphorus.
Old August 19, 2013, 09:38 AM   #7
g.willikers

Ammosmith.com has all kinds of neat stuff.
Like making bullet jackets from .22 cases.
It's also an excellent source of info on reloading in general, for both the experienced and the new folks.
Old August 19, 2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Geezerbiker

I once discovered that I could make .224 gas checks from spent large rifle primers. I did it just to prove the concept but I didn't shoot any of the bullets...

This is as far as I will go to reuse primers...

Tony
Old August 19, 2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Sierra280

Anyone attempting this sort of thing should understand the safety risks and take all necessary precautions. That being said, instead of watching YouTube videos, just try and find a copy of the DOD improvised munitions manual, it details all kinds of stuff like this, everything has been thoroughly tested and the instructions detail all safety/procedural necessities.
Old August 20, 2013, 01:05 PM   #10
skizzums

i will probably attempt one this weekend, just to have the option as a last resort. i'll do a very, very low charge and use a hipoint pistol so i dont care if it blows. i'll let you know how it works out.
Old August 20, 2013, 02:48 PM   #11
snuffy

Quote:
I will probably attempt one this weekend, just to have the option as a last resort. I'll do a very, very low charge and use a hi-point pistol so I don't care if it blows. I'll let you know how it works out.
Well, that's just wrong thinking. The only thing this type of primer MIGHT do is fail to ignite the powder at all. It won't cause high(er) pressure.

The worst it could do is a hangfire. Meaning; click-----BANG! As in a delay from primer strike to ignition of the powder. Be careful, if it clicks, then don't fire, KEEP THE GUN POINTED DOWN RANGE, HELD IN A FIRING POSITION FOR A COUNT OF TEN SECONDS. Then carefully extract the round. You might try firing it again after it failed to fire.

Another way to re-load primers is to use toy cap gun caps for the priming compound. IF you can still find some. Same procedure, but getting the compound free from the paper is exciting, you WON'T sleep through it, that I can guarantee!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 20, 2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Rangefinder

Quote:
Another way to re-load primers is to use toy cap gun caps for the priming compound. IF you can still find some. Same procedure, but getting the compound free from the paper is exciting, you WON'T sleep through it, that I can guarantee!
Believe it or not, the place I found those roll caps was at the grocery store. They always have the little toy section with all the "made in China" 1$ junk, but among it is usually cap guns and caps. Using a leather punch worked best for me as long as it was good and sharp, and I was careful. No need to separate the paper. They throw a spark--the primer cup forces it in the right direction and it flows around the anvil just fine. I DID find I had to use about 3 or 4 of them to get good ignition, the caps now aren't nearly as potent as the ones I had as a kid. Another thing that can help the process is the powder inside the "booby-trap" pull-string firecrackers. A little of that in the bottom of the cup under the roll caps lights 'em up good. The same stuff can be found in the party-poppers.

Until they can't be found, I'll stick with factory primers. But it's always good to know your options and have a plan-B (I tend to include a plan C, D, and E as well).

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old August 20, 2013, 10:30 PM   #13
Sierra280

"Why is it called common sense if so few people possess it?"

Thank you, as I have stated on another thread, things like this (ie basically anything out of the improvised munitions manual) are designed, not to be used 'just cause you can' improvisations like this are ONLY to be used when you are totally SOL (ie behind enemy lines, or forced into the necessity of guerrilla warfare tactics) and only then, these sorts of things are not for normal use, only out of necessity to get a real firearm, or ammo, from someone who has one.

The only, ONLY, reason for using IMPROVISED munitions is because you are totally in the "S" or are in a bad place and improvised munitions and their components can usually be bought, and the finished products can be carried down the street without drawing any suspicion, (again, in a totally FUBAR scenario) and since they are purpose built, can be even more effective than commercial available counterparts (certainly not the case with primers)
Old August 21, 2013, 07:10 AM   #14
Bezoar

it can be done. the industry didnt spring up overnight.

Problem is, the chemistry is beyond most people. Get the formula wrong, purity wrong, you can end up with a dud, or a big hole were your house was.
Old August 26, 2013, 05:08 PM   #15
skizzums

tried it with a 9mm, worked, fairly immediate result. used titegroup and 3 match heads. didn't notice a delay, although i'm sure it was there. even worked using using my DAO which sometimes has a tough time igniting. it was fun, but never again until primers are deemed an unnecessary threat to society and confiscated by the O-batfe
Old August 27, 2013, 08:35 AM   #16
jmorris

If you are interested in making your own primers you should read this thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iming-compound