The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 15, 2013, 08:38 PM   #26
kawasakifreak77

Not loading subs yet, but will be some day.

The only ammo I can find around here is the subs for about $23 a box so I've started the process of making my cases from mountains of .223 I've picked up at the range. Still looking for heavy (240+) bullets.

I'm concentrating on dialing in a supersonic load in my micro 7 with 125gr Seirra match bullets for now.
Old August 27, 2013, 12:05 PM   #27
Lark

I cast 230 grain boat-tail bullets using a Lee mold with 8.5 grains of H110 for about 1050 fps. This is a 2 moa load but works just fine for hitting steel out to 200 yards.
Old August 29, 2013, 04:36 PM   #28
twp5253

I just started reloading .300

After doing a lot of reading over on 300BlackTalk I figured out what I would need and so far so good. Actually, my rounds have been perfect!!!! Much better than some of the ammo I purchased. Subs are not that interesting at the moment because CA does not allow for silencers...bummer. But, the 125gr SMK was available and I got 8lbs of H110. I still to this day have not seen the Accurate 1680 that they recommend for subs become available.

I had purchased some rounds from two manufacturers just to be sure I had rounds on hand when my Faxon Firearms .300 upper arrived. I have pretty much settled on 17.8gr of H110 and all my brass, even the loaded rounds I bought are LC headstamped. I had an RCBS reloading kit that I bought in 1982 and I have done handgun loads in the past. I purchased 600 .300 cases that were made from once fired LC brass. Vendor was on 300BlackTalk. I did get a case gauge and my cost now is about 30cents a round for perfect feeding super consistent ammo.