The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2012, 02:43 PM   #1
JRLSH

Stuck Case-NEED HELP

Well it has happened and I am at my wits end. I am reloading on a LEE classic cast press for the 50 BMG and I have gotten a case stuck in the press and I mean STUCK. I have done what the paperwork says to do( rap the decapper with a hammer to unstick) but I have rapped on the darn thing till its almost deformed. I tried to fit the punch to the top of the ram on the shell holder and smack that, putting pressure on the arm at the same time and NO LUCK. So now what do I do???? ANY help would be greatly appreciated and hearty THANKS in advance to all .

If you heard the bang,
You weren't the target.
Old January 14, 2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Did you have lube on this case?
Old January 14, 2012, 03:05 PM   #3
nate45

Call Lee and ask them how to get it out. At the same time ask if you shipped it to them what they would charge to remove it. In the end it might be cheaper and less trouble to by a new die.
Old January 14, 2012, 03:06 PM   #4
JRLSH

Lube

Yes I had some on it and tried to insert the case again and WHAM , stuck. So there was lube on it but I think when it went back in it didn't have enough on it. So now what ?

If you heard the bang,
You weren't the target.
Old January 14, 2012, 03:09 PM   #5
hodaka

Heat on the die might help. A heat gun that you use for paint removal might help. Alternatively, putting it in the freezer might help also. Still, shipping it to Lee might be the best idea. I assume you can still pull the die out of the press. It might be easier to work with with a bench vise as opposed to the press.
Old January 14, 2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If it was me, and there was enough case outside the die to do it, I'd cut it in half with a hacksaw or sawzall, then use something to bend the remaining part in the die until it pulled out. It might be really stuck but brass bends easily. If you could get one edge pushed away from the body of the die the rest would bend in and slide out.

I have no idea what the "approved" method would be (beyond what you've already done) but that's what I'd do.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; January 14, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old January 14, 2012, 03:25 PM   #7
JRLSH

OH EUREKA.... success.. I had an extra pair of hands show up and was explaining my dilimma and together we made it happen.. Now the only down side is the decapping pin is so buggered up on the thread end I will probably have to get a new one of those. Oh well, small price to pay for having it unstuck I guess. To everyone who helped, a VERY HEARTY THANK YOU.... and you guys are welcome at my fire anytime. Me thinks it's beer thiry now.

If you heard the bang,
You weren't the target.
Old January 14, 2012, 06:33 PM   #8
savagelover

what cal. case was it anyway..Did you lube the inside of the case mouth? The eaisest way is to remove the die if possible...if the primer is out drill the flash hole and thread it...screw a bolt into it and yank it off there...It is better if you have a vise to hold it in...What kind of lube was it? I use nothing but the imperial sizing wax now...And I take some of the Lee lube that comes in a tub and put some on a q tip and do the inside case mouth with that....Works real good....john
Old January 14, 2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

In the OP he says 50 BMG.

For the future, remember that brass shrinks more than steel in cold. Sticking the die in the freezer or, worst case, setting it on a rag (to prevent thermal shock) on top of dry ice in an insulated box will usually let you pop them out easily if you get it in the press fast enough that it doesn't warm up.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 14, 2012, 07:22 PM   #10
savagelover

Uncle-----he said the press was for a 50 cal....what ever that means...I doubt the case was a 50...
Old January 14, 2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Don H

On second thought, delete.
Old January 14, 2012, 08:02 PM   #12
wncchester

Cases stick from ONE THING; too little lube down near the head and that's the most demanding part to resize. We can't put enough case lube inside a case neck to prevent the outside from sticking.
Old January 14, 2012, 09:29 PM   #13
dacaur

I wonder how many people have gotten the freezer trick to actualy work? I see it recommended all the time, but have never seen a testimonial....
Ive had two stuck cases, and the freezer trick didn't work either time, but did put some rust on my 9mm dies thanks to the frost that appeared when I stuck it in the deep freeze....
the 9mm case wasn't even really "stuck", I had just finished loading some .308 and was showing my dad how easy it was to load 9mm on my turret press, ram goes up into sizer, ram comes down with no case... oops, still had the .308 shellholder in there..... Tried the freezer trick and it didn't want to come out even with vice grips on the end. ( got it out in the end by putting it back in the press, raising ram with no shellholder up to to the case, then insert the shell holder in ram and over rim at the same time)

Second was a .300 savage that i guess didn't have enough lube. even with lube It took way too much effort to size them (doing it for my uncle, brass is from one of his friends...) freezer trick failed AGAIN, completly destroyed the rim and still no joy, I took it to work, drilled and tapped the flash hole, and it came right out.
Old January 15, 2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagelover
Uncle-----he said the press was for a 50 cal....what ever that means...I doubt the case was a 50...

Savagelover,

Go back and reread the first post. 2nd sentence, words 12 and 13 are: "50 BMG".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
I wonder how many people have gotten the freezer trick to actualy work? I see it recommended all the time, but have never seen a testimonial....

Dacaur,

Here's one from just a week ago. Post #36 on page 4 of this CMP forum thread.

The linear coefficient of expansion for brass is about 11 μin/in/°F. For steel its about 7 μin/in/°F. So brass will shrink about 36% more than steel does in a freezer. If you suspended the die and stuck case upright in a modestly insulated box (to prevent thermal shock) and submerged it in liquid nitrogen, removing it after it had time to cool, I'd expect to find the case lying at the bottom under the die.
Old January 15, 2012, 10:42 AM   #15
JRLSH

"what cal. case was it anyway..Did you lube the inside of the case mouth? The eaisest way is to remove the die if possible...if the primer is out drill the flash hole and thread it...screw a bolt into it and yank it off there...It is better if you have a vise to hold it in...What kind of lube was it? I use nothing but the imperial sizing wax now...And I take some of the Lee lube that comes in a tub and put some on a q tip and do the inside case mouth with that....Works real good....john "

savage lover, the press was the Lee Classic Cast Press for a 50BMG, so the case was a 50 BMG and I think the problem was that I did not have enough lube on the bottom of the case. I did lube the inside of the case mouth and the outside of the case neck and the body of the case but I guess I didn't go down far enough on the shell so that is one lesson learned the hard way. Anyway, thanks to all who tried to help me out on this one and I will save all the posts to keep for future reference as I'm sure this will not be the only one of these I have. Good shooting to all....

If you heard the bang,
You weren't the target.
Old January 15, 2012, 02:07 PM   #16
dacaur

Quote:
I think the problem was that I did not have enough lube on the bottom of the case. I did lube the inside of the case mouth and the outside of the case neck and the body of the case but I guess I didn't go down far enough on the shell so that is one lesson learned the hard way.
Yea, I think thats why my .300 savage case stuck too, I use hornady one shot, and I just lubed them all sitting in a loading block, so really didn't hit the bottom half at all, after the stuck case I put them in upside down and spray, then turn them right side up and spray again and the effort was much reduced and no more stuck cases... yet......
Old January 15, 2012, 04:09 PM   #17
aaalaska

A stuck case remover is a small investment, or you can put your own together for a little less. But should be part of of every reloaders inventory.Even if you never need one ,one of your friends will. That and try a can of imperial sizing die wax. It might seem expensive ,but that little can will do an amazing amount of brass ,and you will not stick a case.
Old January 15, 2012, 04:59 PM   #18
dacaur

Quote:
A stuck case remover is a small investment, or you can put your own together for a little less. But should be part of of every reloaders inventory.
+1 on this, better to have one BEFORE you need it rather than scramble to get one while you have a case stuck in your die. With a stuck case remover is a simple 5 min operation to remove a stuck case from a die, without one, its try this and that, and hope one of them works.... If I didn't work in a machine shop where I have all the necessary tools at hand I would have one myself, but worst case scenario I stick it Friday night and have to wait till Monday to take it in to work and unstick it... Thats why I have plenty of sized and primed brass on hand ready to go, and size and prime it after tumbling, so I am not stuck with no brass to load and a case stuck in my die... Maybe someday when I have an extra 15 bucks and nothing to spend it on, ill get myself one, but for anyone that doesn't have the stuff available at work, or who reloads all their brass at the same time, i highly recommend getting yourself a stuck case remover BEFORE you have a stuck case....
Old January 15, 2012, 10:55 PM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

…And still use the freezer before applying the stuck case remover. I've used these devices twice without freezing and both times simply pulled the heads off the cases, leaving their bodies in the dies. Anyone care to guess how long it takes an ammoniated bore cleaner to etch a case out of a die? Your hint is that it's not measured in mere days or weeks. These days I'd choose a faster chemical like KG-12, but it wasn't around back when I did this.
Old January 16, 2012, 12:07 AM   #20
primerman

may want to think about getting or making one of these... (Hope the link came through)

http://www.grafs.com/catalog/product...12954/inline/1
Old January 16, 2012, 12:11 AM   #21
primerman

Don't worry about it JRLSH, you are not the first or the last person to get a case stuck. It happens quit often (hopefully not to the same person over and over), if it didn't manufacturers like RCBS, Forester and others would not be making stuck case removers. Glad it all worked out....