The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Wreck-n-Crew

Go with what I have?

Recently purchased some WSF for 45 ACP and have had great results with the exception of some light soot that is very manageable.

Previously was using WST in 9mm and when I started to use it for the 45 noticed some issues. Long Story short the powder had evidently got moisture from leaving it at a friends house.

The only good powder I have left is the WSF. I don't mind using it if it works fine for 9mm 125 GRN LFP.

Has anyone else used it for 9mm? For 125grn LFP? IF so how did it perform for plinking/Target practice?

Standard load data from Winchester only list load data for 124grn LRN and I am sure I can start working a load with that but if you have anything to share there as well it would be appreciated to.

Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; September 1, 2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old September 1, 2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

Deleted.

Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; September 1, 2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old September 1, 2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

I will use WSF in 9 mm when I want mid range to max loads. It doesn't do all that great below mid-range. I load with jacketed bullets and not lead. I would think hard case lead shouldn't be any problem. I do prefer WST even with jacketed bullets. I also will use the same data for 124 and 125 grain bullets and will interchange them. This is providing the profile is similar. If you weight some bullets you might have unless they are match grade you might find they will vary a full grain from max to min. I have used WST to load .45 with 185 grain JHP bullets to major levels. It pushing this powder to the limits but it does work.
Old September 1, 2013, 08:18 PM   #4
rotten mick

Question. Why would you shoot a non jacket 9mm? I could see if thats all that was available and you were casting your own but with jacket rounds available why.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old September 1, 2013, 10:38 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

One answer is cheaper when you buy them, Two is more available, three they don't wear out a barrel as fast as Jacketed, and four you can mold your own if ammo is not available not just that it's even cheaper than buying.

Still like jackets though