The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Swampman1

Hornady scale problem

My Hornady digital scale started giving what looks like "OUE2"message. Put new batteries..still the same? Did it die, or is there a setting? This happened during usage.
Old August 25, 2013, 09:39 PM   #2
NESHOOTER

It must be a CS-1500? QUE2- Recalibrate the scale
1. Turn on the scale
2.Give scale appx 30 sec's of warm up time to help stabilize the internal components.
3.Wait until the LCD displays 0.00 and then press and HOLD the (MODE) key for 3 sec's, the LCD will display "CAL" THEN RELEASE THE (MODE) key.
4.Press the (MODE) key again, the LCD will display "CAL" and then ''100.00''.
5.Add a 100g calibration weight, the display will show ''PASS'' and return to normal weighing mode.
6.Put away the calibration weight and press ON/OFF toturn off the scale and the calibration is finished.

As the owner manual states.
AF
Old August 26, 2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Swampman1

Thanks, but this isn't a recalibration issue. I turn it on and it brings up that code then shuts off after 3 seconds. It doesn't even let me get to the 0.00. I'll call Hornady today to see what they say.
Old August 26, 2013, 09:49 AM   #4
JimDandy

Did you set something "heavy" on it? Those scales don't have a lot of play, and if you set something a scale weighing in grains would find heavy, you can break it.
Old August 27, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

I'm so glad I never talked myself into buying a digital scale.

I'll take my old gravity balance scale all day long.
Old August 29, 2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Swampman1

OK Hornady said to return it and they would send out a replacement. 2-3 weeks turnaround.

While on the subject, is there any digital scale out there that is known to be consistently accurate?

Last edited by Swampman1; August 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old August 29, 2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S
I'm so glad I never talked myself into buying a digital scale.

I'll take my old gravity balance scale all day long.

And take so long doing it that replacing the digital and waiting 3 weeks will still put me ahead.

These kinds of arguments come up all the time. Cell phones, cars, computers, scales, optics, who knows what else, anything that changes over time, I suppose. Any product can fail or be broken. Sometimes the benefits of a new technology with a potential for failure can outweigh the singular benefit of utter reliability.

If I had to load (weigh powder charges) with a mechanical scale, I wouldn't do it. End of Sentence, Full Stop. I wouldn't do it.

Sounds like Hornady is taking care of the issue. Too bad it's a long turn around.
Old August 29, 2013, 10:58 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

Quote:
If I had to load (weigh powder charges) with a mechanical scale, I wouldn't do it. End of Sentence, Full Stop. I wouldn't do it.
Fortunately, I'm a patient man.

When the s* hits the fan and there's no batteries or electricity, there will still be gravity.
Old August 30, 2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Swampman1

Nick CS I've never used a mechanical scale, so excuse me if I don't fully understand. If I need 19.1 grains, using a mechanical scale, how do I know if i'm not loading 18.8 or 19.4? Is it more precise than I'm thinking?
Old August 30, 2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Reloader2

Hornady scale problem

You can get them to 1/10 of a grain or less if you want to put the pointer between the lines. Personally I find it easier and more accurate to use the balance beam than using the electric scale but I can't knock anybody for what works for them. There are pros and cons to just about everything.
Old August 30, 2013, 07:24 PM   #11
bt380

I'd wait for the replacement. That scale works for lots of folks. You just got a loser scale. You see them on the you tube being used by folks that know what they are going.
Old August 30, 2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Nick_C_S

Swampman1: They are (mine is) accurate to the 1/10th grain, or even 1/20th if you wanted to split the difference between the two digits in the scale - it is that accurate. At least mine is (RCBS, circa 1984). It's a damn good unit. I treat it as the delicate instrument that it is. It's tucked away in under my loading bench in its own box until I need it. I set it up, use it, and return it.

It's very accurate and very consistent. Does the job quite well.

Everybody has their own preferences and we're still free enough to choose what type of scale we want to use - for now. For me, I'll take the ol' gravity/balance type. It may take a little more patience than a digital, but the hallmark of a good loader is patience anyway. I also trust it more than a digital scale. I've seen too many weird things happen with digital instruments (as someone in the culinary world: I'll take an analog food thermometer over a digital all day long - and for the same reasons).