The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2013, 06:02 PM   #1
eagle39393

New to reloading

I am new to reloading and have loaded only 100rds. I used Win 231 4.7gr OAL 1.225, Unique 6.3gr OAL 1.235 and AA#5 7.9gr with OAL of 1.235. All from a Colt 911 Series 80 using a 200gr RNFP Badman Bullet. I have alot of 200gr RNBB but don't know how to start a recipe. My reloading book is the Lyman 49th Edition

THANKS
Old August 25, 2013, 06:16 PM   #2
oldpapps

Going to say your "Colt 911 Series 80", is a 1911 Colt in 45 ACP.

Lead bullets of the same weight and same general bearing surface in the barrel can and will use the same starting loadings.

Some concern comes into place when shifting to jacketed bullets. I've never used plated bullets, but understand they are closer to lead than jacketed. I would get starting loads for them (from published and respected sources).

I run almost a grain more of 231 with my 200 grain lead SWC and have for years.

Load with safety,

OSOK
Old August 26, 2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

I'm guessing they are round nosed Bevel Base lead bullets. You normally can use the same data as other round nosed lead bullets. I generally don't use the lowest published loads and start about .2 of a grain higher to work up a load. I make 5 rounds for each load in .1 grain steps. I also shoot off of sandbags or a rest to see which ones are more accurate. My first concern is they cycle the gun. After that I start looking for accuracy. Normally I find a .3 to .4 grain spread with W231 where I get good accuracy. I will load more to test in the middle of the range where they are accurate or slightly to the upper end of that sweet spot. My second test is generally 50 rounds. I won't make any more of them until I am certain they are cycling and are accurate enough. Who wants to pull a bunch of bullets?

Beveled based bullets are supposed to seal a little better when shot. .45 is a very forgiving round to load so it is good practice working up loads with it.

When testing a new load make certain you have a fresh target so you can verify a hole in the target for every shot fired. When you don't see a hole in the target check your barrel for an obstruction.
Old August 27, 2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

I use 5.0g W231 for my 200g LSWC's. I've gone as low as 4.6 and still had reliable function. So you're in the ballpark. On the low end (which is good to start with), but definitely in the ballpark.

Have fun learning.