The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 24, 2011, 11:41 PM   #1
Rustle in the Bushes

A sights/marksmanship question

Hey all

Fairly new shooter here with a question. I have a benelli pump and a k31 rifle. I'm looking to add another pump to the collection and was wondering about which sights I should be getting. Keeping in mind it is a slug gun for close in bear/apex predator defense. and zombies. JK!

Now I have used the search function and I am not wanting to create yet another thread of ghost ring vs iron vs bead vs piece of straw. What I would like to know, from far more experienced marksmen, is if you guys were teaching someone to shoot would you want them having 3 different sighting systems on all of their guns? I am a bit worried about having a GRS on my smoothbore slug shotty, a rifle sighted K31 and a bead on my other pump and being useless with all 3 of them! what do you think, will this make me a worse marksman? Should I make sure to get a rifle sighted shotgun for consistency?
Old June 25, 2011, 12:08 AM   #2
zippy13

Are you wanting to use your shotgun as a shotgun (pointed) or as a rifle (aimed)?
Old June 25, 2011, 12:54 AM   #3
the rifleer

Its all about practice. It doesn't matter which sight system you use, just make sure you use it. I think a simple bead sight is fine, I have hit targets the size of a beach ball at 200 yards with just a simple bead sight.

I think that ghost right sights would be ideal in the sense that you could adjust them and use them like rifle sights, but like I said, I personally prefer a bead.
Old June 25, 2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Gehrhard

I have, and would, gravitate to the bead for all shotgun unless you are using it as a sighted rifle, i.e. a sabot slug in a rifled barrel or rifled-slug in a smoothbore barrel for longer-distance big game, and MAYBE for coyote or turkey hunting.

Last edited by Gehrhard; June 25, 2011 at 10:29 PM.