The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 19, 2013, 11:10 AM   #1
dlbarr

Maximum loads....

....for a BRASS frame Rem or Colt. Been a while since I checked in here....I know this is subjective, but what is reasonable in terms of loads for these in .44 cal? thanks
Old September 19, 2013, 12:10 PM   #2
noelf2

IMHO, whatever gives you the best groups without exceeding 24 gr real 3fg bp.
Old September 19, 2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Rigmarol

Most people don't shoot their BP revolvers enough to worry about those brass frames. They will take a normal load, no need to reduce the load, they just might wear out and get loose a little quicker than the steel framed revolvers.

Load your rounds with the ball against the powder charge and increase to the most accurate for your purposes.
Old September 19, 2013, 04:56 PM   #4
dlbarr

Quote:
Most people don't shoot their BP revolvers enough to worry about those brass frames. They will take a normal load, no need to reduce the load, they just might wear out and get loose a little quicker than the steel framed revolvers.
True, most don't. I have been shooting this one more often (as it's the only one I have at present) and expect that to continue. Being true to my Scottish heritage, I'd like this NOT to "wear out and get loose" quicker. Thanks for your input.
Old September 19, 2013, 05:51 PM   #5
noelf2

wise decision
Old September 19, 2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Rigmarol

Your title of the post was Maximum loads.
I assumed you were looking to shoot the gun hard and were wondering if it could take it.

If you don't want it to wear out then reduce your loads (as opposed to max loads). 25-30gn under a wad and round ball should be just fine to make good smoke and be a good place to look for accuracy. Go up or down from there as needed.

Nice looking guns the brassers are.
Old September 19, 2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Hellgate

Just my opinion. I consider 20grs BP in the brasser 44s as a standard load. I would not exceed 25 grs. The gun may accept 30grs powder but soon the cylinder gap will open up and you will lose all that extra power out the gap as the arbor gets pulled from the frame (as in Colt) or the cylinder will bash into the recoil shield and create an indentation that will allow the gap to open up in both Colts and Remingtons. Some have reported that they shoot 30gr loads all the time in their Colt brassers and no problems but I'd say most of the "retired" Colt brassers have loose arbors and the Remingtons have the imprint of the cylinder back on their recoil shields from shooting heavy loads.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old September 19, 2013, 11:51 PM   #8
dlbarr

Quote:
Your title of the post was Maximum loads.
I assumed you were looking to shoot the gun hard and were wondering if it could take it.
Yeah, you're right...that was a bit misleading the way I said it. What I was looking for was what was in reason for a brass frame without stretching it. Been awhile since I shot this one, I think the heaviest I've loaded it was just under 20gr, like 18 or so.

Somewhere I was thinking I saw a picture of a steel plate installed on the recoil shield of a brass frame which was to alleviate part of that potential damage....?
Old September 20, 2013, 04:06 AM   #9
Hawg

I wouldn't exceed 18 grains in a brass frame. I know from experience 25 will cause damage, maybe not right away but sooner or later it will.
Old September 20, 2013, 10:47 AM   #10
Rigmarol

Sooner or later is the key phrase.

As inexpensive as the Brassers are, I have to issue with wearing one out by shooting regular loads in it. They are not going to blow up, just eventually lose that tight gap between the cylinder and the barrel.

Any gun can be abused into a junk pile. The Brassers have a reputation that may be deserved or not. Rather than treating them as though they were made of glass, I prefer to shoot them, enjoy them and replace them as needed.

Wanna keep your guns perfect? Hang it on the wall.

Me? I'm gonna shoot and giggle as long as I can.

Load, shoot, enjoy!
Old September 20, 2013, 10:57 AM   #11
dlbarr

Rig, I agree with your view to a point. I want to enjoy my guns rather than waste energy worrying over them as well. My challenge is that, having six kids still at home, I can't just shoot 'em, toss 'em aside and go get more when they wear out. That's why I bought the less expensive brass frame in the first place. But what I should've done, which is usually always the best, is to have bought the best (or at least better) available. Then I wouldn't have to consider these things.

Live & learn....
Old September 20, 2013, 12:38 PM   #12
noelf2

Quote:
Any gun can be abused into a junk pile. The Brassers have a reputation that may be deserved or not. Rather than treating them as though they were made of glass, I prefer to shoot them, enjoy them and replace them as needed.
With that logic, you should just get a steel frame and save some money in the long run. Unless of course you get enjoyment out of turning brassers into junk piles. To each his own.

dlbarr, For what these guns are for, you probably won't get any more enjoyment shooting 35gr bp versus 18gr. Personally, I like to take care of what I have too. You may find that lower charges get best accuracy as well. Louder booms and a giggle or two doesn't give me the satisfaction that a tight group on paper does.
Old September 20, 2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Rigmarol

Quote:
Quote:
With that logic, you should just get a steel frame and save some money in the long run. Unless of course you get enjoyment out of turning brassers into junk piles. To each his own.

dlbarr, For what these guns are for, you probably won't get any more enjoyment shooting 35gr bp versus 18gr. Personally, I like to take care of what I have too. You may find that lower charges get best accuracy as well. Louder booms and a giggle or two doesn't give me the satisfaction that a tight group on paper does.
I had a long response for Noelf2 but took a couple deep breaths and calmed down. I'd rather believe I mis-read the post as an attack of me and was just trying to make a point contrary to my opinion.

Dlbarr, nothing wrong with the wanting to take care of your gun. I had to wait for my kids to all grow up and move out before I could seriously expand my shooting hobby. I had some guns when they were growing up and I taught them all how to shoot but I couldn't ever buy what I really want until later. Enjoy the kids while you can, they grow up so darn quickly it's amazing!!!

Remember reduced loads usually are more accurate at pistol range. Just don't reduce to the point of squib loads or have air gaps between the powder and the ball and you should be fine.