The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

View Poll Results: Do you think this is a silly government regulation?
Yes, and it is a 2A vilolation 6 66.67%
Yes, it's silly but is not a 2A violation 2 22.22%
It is a reasonable request 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 2, 2009, 05:45 PM   #1
stargazer65

Tasked with Letters of Recommendation

My wife and I who recently completed a state required pistol permit class, are in the process of applying for a temporary state permit. This is done at the local town level and is required prior to applying for the regular state pistol permit. We are tasked with suplying three letters of recommendation for the permit. This is in addition to fingerprinting, background check, and proof of citizenship. My thoughts are that while it is relatively simple for us to do so, it is silly. I mean, I think anyone(even C. Manson) could find three people to attest to his character. Do you think this is silly government regulation or a reasonable request. For the record, we intend to do it anyway.

Last edited by stargazer65; July 2, 2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old July 2, 2009, 05:50 PM   #2
csmsss

Pennsylvania had the same requirement (three letters of reference) when I moved there back in 1995. It is a rather quaint, antiquated idea, but they adhere to it nonetheless.
Old July 2, 2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Hkmp5sd

It is a stupid requirement. I had to supply three "letters" back when I applied for my current job.

Maybe you could get Obama to write you a letter like he wrote that little girl a note for skipping school a few weeks ago.

NRA Life Member
Old July 2, 2009, 07:34 PM   #4
rwilson452

PA no longer has that requirement. It does take two references. Name, Address and phone number.

Most sheriffs don't even check them.

Quote:
Pennsylvania had the same requirement (three letters of reference) when I moved there back in 1995. It is a rather quaint, antiquated idea, but they adhere to it nonetheless.
Old July 2, 2009, 08:01 PM   #5
rampage841512

It is silly and it is a violation of the second amendment.

We have a similar requirement in Alabama, though much simpler. You simply have to find three people who are willing to sign your application (that are not family members, I believe) stating in essence that you are not a moron. But let's face it, what moron can't find three others to sign their name?
Old July 2, 2009, 08:49 PM   #6
tony pasley

Not relevant and political. Spelling counts.

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; July 3, 2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: See above.
Old July 3, 2009, 07:54 AM   #7
stargazer65

Quote:
But let's face it, what moron can't find three others to sign their name?
Which is the silliness of the rule that I was pointing out. It's purely subjective, I'm sure the worst hardened criminals in prison have inmate friends that believe them to be intelligent, well adjusted, repsonsible citizens. The other side of the coin is that I'm sure everyone, even the best citizens, could find a couple of people that think they are total wackjobs for one reason or the other.
Old July 3, 2009, 11:23 AM   #8
Evan Thomas

As a "town" thing, it's a requirement that's sort of an interesting intermediate step between the days when if you lived somewhere, everyone (including the sheriff) knew you, and knew whether or not you were a whackjob, and today's relatively anonymous society, when it's a bit quaint to think that the sheriff would know any of your referees, much less you yourself. (I think it probably began with the assumption that your referees would be known quantities, or at least verifiable as such, so that their word would be trustworthy.)

Now, of course, it does seem merely... quaint, and a bit old-fashioned. But a Second Amendment violation, as compared to fingerprinting and such? I'd say not...
Old July 3, 2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer65
We are tasked with suplying three letters of recommendation for the permit. This is in addition to fingerprinting, background check, and proof of citizenship. My thoughts are that while it is relatively simple for us to do so, it is silly ... Do you think this is silly government regulation or a reasonable request. For the record, we intend to do it anyway.
The above pretty much sums up the OP.

I was hoping that something bordering upon a civil rights violation and/or some kind of activism to get the law changed would result.

It hasn't. My initial reasons for keeping this thread alive have not materialized. It remains a purely political rant, which the OP says he will follow regardless.

Closed as being off topic.
Closed Thread