The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Fuzzymaster

If you had to buy 8# powder for 9mm & 45acp

What powder would you buy for both of these ? I would like to stock up while I have some money. I know there are all kinds of variables, but which would you choose. Right now I am looking at Bullseye, Unique, and W231. Leaning towards Unique.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Sevens

Unique is wildly popular, but I don't care for it. It's not one of the best metering powders out there (it ain't the worst either) but it's not a ball powder, for sure. It's flexible and can be used for a lot of different calibers, but that's also a testament (IMO) of how it's not the "best" choice for ANY caliber. It's very old tech and though it's supposed to burn cleaner than in year's past, it's not the natural progression of technology in powders... it's a very old favorite that's still hanging around.

A -lot- of those descriptions I just used apply to Bullseye also... it's fairly dirty, it's a good target powder but it's a poor choice for heavy loads. It likely meters better than Unique, but it's not quite as flexible.

231 seems to be a better version of Bullseye, in that it's used in pretty much the same way for the same reasons. I believe that 231 will put less soot and filth on your handgun than Bullseye.

You'll probably get a lot of votes for Unique here, but I'd probably vote for 231. What's crazy is that I use FAR MORE of Bullseye than I do of Unique and I don't even have, nor have I ever used 231... so my opinions are nothing more than that-- my opinion.

I would take a long, hard look at Titegroup rather than any of the three you listed. I'm also getting to be a big fan of Alliant Power Pistol.

And it's only far to go ahead and state the obvious: In my opinion, if you list 30 different smokeless powders and ask me which powder to deep six, I'm kicking Unique off the island. I just don't think in the year 2009 that all that made Unique such a great powder in the last 80 years makes it so great right now. I think there are better powders that are more specific to certain jobs these days. Unique is a sentimental favorite of many and of the twelve powders I keep on hand, it's the last one I use and the first one I'd boot.

Big apologies to the boatloads of Unique fans that will no doubt take over this thread!
Old February 8, 2009, 03:19 PM   #3
bobn

another 231 fan....bobn
Old February 8, 2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Yoosta B. Blue

A really good question, Fuzzymaster...

Nearly a year ago, I was extremely fortunate to have a "deal of a lifetime" to come my way, as far as reloading supplies are concerned. Among the horde of components that I obtained in that transaction were 9 pounds of Unique, and 10 pounds of HS-6.

When I first got those two powders (along with some others to boot), I set out on a judicious course to work up a good accurate and dependable load using either Unique or HS-6. Several thousand rounds later, I can say without question that HS-6 is definitely my favorite powder. It meters really well and I have developed a load with it for the 9mm that is "dead on" in my gun, with the same being true for my .45 ACP.

I do have one pound of TiteGroup here, which I have not yet opened. I don't plan to try it until all my HS-6 is gone, and that's not going to be for a good long while. Though HS-6 is not one of the powders that you are looking at, feel free to put me in the "ardent fan" column with Hodgdon's HS-6. If I were about to buy a bunch of powder right now for the calibers that I regularly shoot, it would be HS-6. It rocks!

Yoosta B. Blue
Old February 8, 2009, 03:52 PM   #5
millerwb

I would be a Bullseye Fan.
Old February 8, 2009, 03:53 PM   #6
freakshow10mm

The new AutoComp. I love it.
Old February 8, 2009, 03:53 PM   #7
sig2009

Depends what you want to load. For full house max loads for velocity Blue Dot and Unique are hard to beat. Both Blue Dot and Unique are good choices for 115 and 124 gn. For middle of the road loads in 115 I like 231,WSF and Bullseye but will not get max velocity with those powders. For 124 gn 231 and Bullseye are on the bottom when it comes to velocity. Blue Dot,AA #9,AA #7 and Unique are best for max loads.
Old February 8, 2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Mikke

VV N340. Of course there might be cheaper alternatives where you are, but it's my favourite. Also works for .38.
Old February 8, 2009, 04:47 PM   #9
kraigwy

Either 231 or bullseye would give you the biggest bang for the buck, also most common in bullseye shooting, That should tell you something.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 8, 2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Claddagh

I like 231 a lot. I went back to Unique for my standard .357 general purpose loads because I was getting a lot of leading when I used enough 231 to get the velocity I was looking for (950 f/s from a 4" bbl revolver} unless I used a gas check. Rather than switch to the more expensive bullets, I switched powders. FWIW, I did have to cut my old standard charge of Unique from years back by about 0.5 gr. to get the same ballistic data I used to get with it.

I still favor 231 in my standard .45 ACP practice loads. For some reason I don't get the kind of "flash" leading in them that I did in the .357's, even though the powder charges were similar and the bullets cast from the same alloy. Haven't a clue as to why.

I'm in the process of trying out some Titegroup. When the weather changes enough for me to get the chronograph out and do some testing we'll see how it works.
Old February 8, 2009, 05:42 PM   #11
TheNordwand

I've been using Tightgroup for 9 and 45.
Old February 8, 2009, 05:56 PM   #12
zxcvbob

Bullseye, or WSF.
Old February 8, 2009, 05:58 PM   #13
Alleykat

I like AA#5 for both!
Old February 8, 2009, 06:32 PM   #14
45Marlin carbine

Bullseye for cast slug 'practice' loads and Power Pistol for the jacketed 'hot' loads.
Old February 8, 2009, 07:02 PM   #15
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Between your choices I'd stick with W231. It is the same as Hodgdon's HP38 which is my personal favorite. Also, HP38 has been cheaper to buy than W231 lately...at least for me.

HP38/W231 is soft recoiling, clean burning, and meters VERY well. I wouldn't use it to push max velocities.

I know you didn't ask for other powders, but I have to mirror Blue's sentiment on HS6. It's properties are very similar to HP38.

I don't like using TiteGroup AT ALL for the only reason that it doesn't fill the case very well. You're asking for a double charge.

I'm just getting into Power Pistol so the jury is still out...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 8, 2009, 07:47 PM   #16
Mtn Biker

If I could only have one it would be W231.

VL
Old February 8, 2009, 08:01 PM   #17
crowbeaner

Simple question; my choice would be AA#5. CB.
Old February 8, 2009, 08:03 PM   #18
Don H

+1 AA#5.
Old February 8, 2009, 08:10 PM   #19
Crosshair

+1 on Titegroup.

Sure you're not going to get top performance, but it burns clean and it can be used in darn near ANY handgun caliber. Works great for cast bullets.
Old February 8, 2009, 08:22 PM   #20
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I use titegroup for 9, 357, 38 spl, and 45acp. It works just fine...and does go a long way.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 8, 2009, 08:42 PM   #21
atbarr

No comments on Solo 1000?

A.T.
Old February 8, 2009, 09:04 PM   #22
zxcvbob

I dislike Titegroup very much because
  1. it is very dirty and smoky with cast bullets; much more so than other powders. Doesn't seem to matter what lube I use.
  2. it takes a vanishingly small amount of powder and it's hard to see how much is in the cases.
I could overlook either of these problems, but not both. I bought a pound of it, and I'm trying to use it up to get rid of it, but it just keeps going and going... (I guess that's one good thing about it)
Old February 8, 2009, 10:59 PM   #23
Sevens

Damn geography. I'd give you my "hardly touched" can of Unique for your red-headed stepchild Titegroup.
Old February 8, 2009, 11:49 PM   #24
rg1

I'd pick Unique. Didn't get the velocity in my tests with 231 at listed charges. Don't like small charges of a powder that can easily be double charged. I've reloaded for some years and just have not kept up with some of the newer powders. I just keep using the same old recipes.
Old February 9, 2009, 12:07 AM   #25
zxcvbob

I just bought a pound (14 oz) of International, and I'm impressed with how well it throws from the powder measure for such a bulky powder. Is Universal the same way? (International is to Green Dot as Universal is to Unique, not to say that they are interchangable) If so, Universal might be a good choice.