The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 30, 2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Tom2

Whaddya do with your uneeded MP 40?

I just saw an article in the Cincinnati Enquirer telling that the Forest Park Ohio police dept. has accumulated over 300 guns over the decades, and they are wanting to sell them off to get new equiptment. Apparently most will be sold to a police supply company in Indiana. However their quandry is that they have a couple of nice MP-40's that they just don't know what to do with. Says they were turned in under an amnesty in 1969 and of course(!) were not issued out for police work or anything. They have no idea what to do next I guess, they thought about giving them to a museum or something. I would think they would be more practical to sell and buy the chief a nice new mahogany desk and green leather chair, at least. But I suppose that they might not be correctly registered with the feds or something in which case they cannot be sold? What is the issue with that?
Old December 31, 2008, 04:48 AM   #2
Alaskavett

What to do??

Shouldent these be GIVEN to those who know what they are.... Need a address?
Old December 31, 2008, 11:44 AM   #3
David Hineline

The amnesty was in 1968 so if these were turned in to the police as contriband in 1969 then they are scrap metal worth what ever a spare parts kit is worth.

The police dept. should contact the ATF NFA branch at 304 616 4500 and have them run the serial numbers. If they come back transferable then the police should contact the heirs of the person they are registered to and give them back as they are worth 20k each. If not transferable but contriband then the dept. can turn them over to the ATF or register them for dept. use, or destroy the receivers and sell the parts off.
Old December 31, 2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Tom2

Well I suspect even a parts kit minus the receivers would be worth some good money to collectors? The place that they are selling all the other 300 guns to is a police supply house, Kieslers. Now I wonder if Kieslers will set on them or transfer them to dealers or distributers if they are like usable for normal purposes? I am sure many are not what you would call modern police guns.
Old January 14, 2009, 10:34 AM   #5
TEDDY

amnesty

they are legal as the guns would be registered under the amnesty.that was a way to register MGs,and get them under fed control.they can sell them to fed licensed dealer.typical of gov agencys they dont know there a*s from their elbow.