The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 6, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Saltydog235

Project 7mm08 Redux

Since the first installment of the build went so well, I have decided to do it again with some minor changes.

I found another Remington 700 SPS Varmint version chambered in 7mm08 and bought it.

This time around I am actually going to shorten the barrel of the gun instead of shooting it first and falling in love with the accuracy. For the most part the upgrades will be the same in order to have a very similar rifle to the one I already have, just a shorter package to deal with. Hopefully it will shoot the same load as my others well, 45.5grns of H4350 and a 150grn Nosler BT/Accubond

Things already set in stone:

Timney Trigger
Wyatt Extended Box Mag
Bell & Carlson Medalist Stock
Badger Ordinance Knob
DNZ Game Reaper Scope Mount
Stock Pack
Claw Sling

Decision To Make

-Dura Coat or Dipped in Treebark Camo (Entire Rig)
-Glass - Looking at a 2X10 or similar magnification scope with a 50/56mm objective and a #4 Reticle. Low light capabilities a must. No NIKON's, had too much trouble in the past. Might consider a Trijicon Accupoint with a post. $500-700 budget on the glass.
-18 or 20" cut down of barrel.
-Thread it or not

The First Version:
Old November 6, 2012, 07:07 PM   #2
tobnpr

I like both Duracoat and the ol Krylon rattle can because I like to DIY...and either is simple (Duracoat is easily applied with a cheap Preval sprayer if you don't have a small HVLP gun).

Nop opinion on the optic as I'm target only, but I've read some great stuff on the Trigicon and their illuminated dot system (I think the dot itself is like .7 moa) is as high tech as it gets.

18" or 20" is going to be pretty much a matter of preference, you'll get acceptable velocity for typical hunting range applications from either, and the .308 based calibers are relatively insensitive to barrel length compared to some others. Me, I'd go with 20" unless there's a reason you'd benefit from the additional handling ease of the 18".

Threading is a no-brainer, since you're already chopping the barrel and assuming you're planning on adding a can or flash hider/brake. If it's a brake or flash hider, best to have it in hand to give to the smith so that the threading can be perfectly done, and he can turn the brake/FH if necessary to match the barrel contour for the best appearance.

Love the 7-08!!
Old November 6, 2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Saltydog235

Maybe a can down the road. Don't need a brake on it, that gun above has no more recoil than my Savage 10 Predator in .243.

Bell and Carlson use to offer a Vietnam Tiger camo in their finish line or I thought they did. Wouldn't mind that and a matte green on the metal work.