The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2000, 08:55 PM   #1
FAS

I have an old A.J. Aubrey 12 ga. dbl. barrel shotgun. Anyone know if it is a shooter or if it has any collector value?
Old February 20, 2000, 07:40 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It may be quite valuable, or it may not, I've not ever heard of that brand. Lots of companies in the last century plus used house names on factory shotgun, like Sears used JC Higgins, and the gun may be something like that, or an obscure British maker.
More,tho,were made in Belgian and other European factories and given names similiar to famous British makers, I've seen guns marked, "W E Richards" to imitate Westley Richards,etc.

BTW, thousands of cheap but workable shotguns were made for every example of a "Best Gun",so the odds are against this being worth the price of a good car, but it does happen.

Whatever you do, have a gunsmith check out the condition of the piece before you fire it. Lots of old shotguns are chambered for shells shorter than those of the present time and firing a modern shell could be hazardous.
Also, bbl steel has come a long way, some of the old stuff was made by welding strips of metal together and the bbl gets weaker at those interfaces over the decades.

Hope this helps...
Old February 20, 2000, 08:51 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

The Aubrey brand was named after Albert James Aubrey. Mr Aubrey convinced Sears, Roebuck & Co to manufacture in-house firearms instead of contracting out to have them made in the opening years of the 20th century.He was made the head of the plant and designed several shotguns, pistols and .22 cal. rifles.
A 1906 Sears, Roebuck & Co sporting goods catalog features four A.J. Aubrey sidelock double guns, from a very plain model to a well engraved model with prices from $13.85 to $19.35. The highest price gun was stamped on the locks as THE A. J. AUBREY and they offered a 20 year guarantee. This eventually became the Meriden Fire Arms Co. if I read my sources correctly.
Old February 20, 2000, 01:17 PM   #4
Steven Mace

FAS, I would suggest having your shotgun professionally appraised. Depending on grade & condition the value could range from $100-$1,500. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical
Old February 21, 2000, 09:38 PM   #5
FAS

Thanks for the info.
Frank
Old January 18, 2010, 07:31 AM   #6
TC Walker

How do i post questions for all to read?

I have an old single shot shotgun it has on it Model 1929 eastern Arms company! And i also have and old .22 semi auto jc higguns Thanks for any help!
Old January 20, 2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Click on the button marked New Thread at the top of this Forum.

See my PM about your Eastern Arms shotgun.