The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 3, 2002, 11:12 PM   #1
kehrby

Ruger Red Label safety

Was wondering if anyone could give me some help in disabling a Red Label Automatic safety. The thing goes back to safe every time the barrels are opened. The owners manual says that Ruger will disable it if sent back to them but I just don't feel like going through the hassle of sending it back if I can do it myself. Thanks.

Steve
Old November 9, 2002, 07:47 PM   #2
kehrby

Any ideas? Anybody?
Old November 9, 2002, 11:22 PM   #3
HSMITH

I do not know how to do it, but a competent gunsmith should be able to do it for you. I have gotten used to it over the years, so it does not bother me anymore. As far as I know Ruger is the only one authorized to disable the auto safety.
Old November 9, 2002, 11:58 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have not examined the Red Label internally, but almost all guns that have that feature have a little rod that is pushed back by the lever and in turn pushes the safety back. Removing that rod disables the automatic safety.

The job usually requires only removal of the stock, and the part can be easily removed.

Two notes of caution:

1. The Red Labels I have seen have very nice wood to metal fit, and you take a chance on chipping the stock if you take it off.
2. In this day and age, removing any safety device could lead to problems if an accident (heaven forbid) should happen. If Ruger removes it, even at your request, the liability is more diffused.

Jim
Old November 10, 2002, 10:25 PM   #5
Riss

If I remember correctly from the manual that is a situation that they will "correct" at the factory. Most likely for NO fee. Give them a call they have been very helpful to me in the past.
Old June 19, 2004, 06:22 PM   #6
BallisticTip

I was asked to check the action on one, and after viewing the intricate lock work it went back together. I recommend a trip to the factory.
Old June 20, 2004, 07:43 AM   #7
mete

While for most O/U s the job of removing the auto safety is easy I understand that the Rugers have to be modified at the factory .Apparently they have to use different parts.
Old July 18, 2004, 05:36 AM   #8
K80Geoff

If you are not a competent gunsmith, or handy with small tools, send it back to Ruger.

The stock attachment can be buggered easily, you will end up with a damaged stock if not done properly.

A friend did this very modification on a 20ga I sold to him, claimed it was easy to do. But he sold the gun shortly after. Always wondered how successful he was with his gunsmithing.
Old July 18, 2004, 07:53 PM   #9
GASCHECK

Red Label Safety

A friend of mine had it done at the factory. They charged him $12. I think shipping was extra. He said it drove him nuts while skeet shooting.
Gascheck