The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 14, 2014, 10:22 PM   #26
jmstr

Good starting point!
Old September 19, 2014, 04:02 PM   #27
boltomatic

Go with a .38/.357 revolver. Ideally one without a saftey. The problem I have with safeties is that it can give you a false sense of security. Without a saftey, you are forced to follow basic gun rules. i.e. if you want to make a revolver safe, you need to take the ammo out of it, making it impossible to fire. With a lever saftey, you may or may not have a round chambered and ready to go as soon as that saftey is switched off.

For self defense, the revolver is the best. You simply store it with ammo in the cylinder and you know with 100% confidence that if someone breaks into your home or confront you on the street, all you need to do is point and pull and it will fire, there's no ensuring the magazine is seated and a round is chambered and the saftey is off. When you are under stress, you will be wishing the gun in your hand was as simple as a revolver.

With the .38/.357 you can also shoot the more affordable and softer shooting .38 special rounds at the range and save the expensive and powerful .357 rounds for self defense (and a few at the range to know how much recoil to expect). If you ever start reloading, .38/.357 is a great gun to reload for because the revolver is easy on the brass and when you reload .38 special its not a big deal if you put too much powder in because the gun can handle the muc more powerful .357 magnum rounds anyway.

Another good choice is a glock, a little more complicated but the saftey is in the trigger so its not a separate thing to worry about and like a revolver, to make a glock safe you actually have to make it safe by clearing the chamber.

There's a reason if you look at accidental gunshot reports, you rarely see revolvers or bolt action rifles despite the fact that they are the most common guns owned by civilians, the accidents happen with the more complicated guns, ironically often with guns that have incorporate more modern "saftey" features. Gun saftey is most effective when you keep things simple.
Old September 19, 2014, 04:40 PM   #28
hartcreek

No safety needed

For SD you do not want a safety other then that he needs to get the notion of one gun out of his head. She needs a gun that fits her and he needs one that fits him. Their hands are different so one simply will not work. Take them to a shop that has a good supply and see what fits their hands and then go from there.
Old September 19, 2014, 05:42 PM   #29
torbjork

The Ruger SR22 is a cool little gun. I want one, too. If I may, I'll try to add something of value as well:

a gun that he and his wife can both use Check! Except the part further down.
for personal defense Maybe not - .22lr isn't much use as a manstopper.

and have fun at the range with. Check!
And it needs to be concealable for when he goes out of town. Hang on, what's his wife going to be using for personal defense while he's gone with the gun?

However it's a great start. So many people buy some hand cannon for their first gun, and then never shoot it because a) it scares them and b) it empties their wallet.

When this couple have shot their SR22 for a while and have some skill, it won't be such a dramatic experience to fire a larger cartridge.
Old September 19, 2014, 07:06 PM   #30
dewcrew8

I would just take them to a gun show/or local gun shops and let them pick up as many of them as they can! then you get the feel of what you like in your hand. after that you can move to what size and cal. I did that with the miss's and we were at the gs for 2 hours!! win win for me almost everyone she picked up was a ruger 22 that she liked ! small hands and she said it was the best feeling of all the c type ones.after that we just had to find one in a bigger cal for her. help them, but dont tell them which one because it could back fire on you,you tolded me to get this or that one but its not what I like. help them get into the sport not way from it. only my 2 cents.

Last edited by dewcrew8; September 19, 2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old December 8, 2014, 07:21 PM   #31
gcouger

Before you buy a CZ-75 you need to look at the newer model CZ 75 P-07 model SKU: 91086 it is substantially different than a Duty. Most noticeable will be the three replaceable back straps so it fits a wider range of hand sizes. It is also made of a different polymer and the magazine catch has been modified so it can use ordinary CZ 75 magazines. They will be a bit loose in the pistol but are supposed to work fine.

It can be set up to have a de-cocker or a safety. I use a de-cocker as it one less thing to forget to do in crisis. If I was going to use the lever as a safety I would modify or have it modified to have better grip on my thumb. It may work fine for you but this 70 year old with Multiple Sclerosis needs a more aggressive safety. Not as much from MS as age.

There are three things that really draw me to CZ pistols; first is accuracy; second is their soft recoil from the low bore axis, they kick less than any 9 mm I have ever shot; and third is their bang for the buck. They are one of the most reliable semi-automatic pistols made with a street price of $457 including shipping from Bud's Guns. I have seen them as low as $433 but their out right now.

I like mine a lot.
GC
Old December 8, 2014, 09:17 PM   #32
rclark

Safety is between the ears... Can't rely on any other safety but that. Some try to rely on a gun safety, and either shoot themselves or someone else....

A revolver. If you are going to 'rely' on a gun, you need plenty of practice and a good .22 revolver will do the job. Learn a lot about shooting accurately rather than spray and pray with a semi-auto... And a .22 will make for inexpensive shooting 'fun'.... A bit safer too for those teachable moments. Of course I am sort of forgetting you can't find any .22 ammo in the wild right now, so a .38 may be better choice if you don't reload. If you do start with a .22, then onto a good .38 which both male and female can handle easily for personal defense. That would be my caliber choice. Once profiecent, the shooters can go from there for personal preference gun choices. Even one of those semi-autos if that is something that appeals to you . My opinion only.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old December 8, 2014, 09:24 PM   #33
tallball

What Bolt said.

For new shooters a revolver is best, especially if they are not going to practice much.

A small or medium frame 38 with a 3" might fit their requirements. 32 H&R magnum might work if 38 has too much recoil.
Old December 9, 2014, 06:42 AM   #34
hartcreek

I was just going over this with a guy that I was bow hunting with. They do not want to be on some goverment list yet he want her to have a handgun that she can use to drop the coyotes and racoons that come to their rural home. For them the answer was a Pietta copy of an 1858 New Army with a second cyllinder.