The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 6, 2014, 02:01 PM   #1
campingnights

1851 Cabela navy

I went to pick up a 1851 brasser 45 navy that I had laid away at Cabelas through mail order,a hassel in itself that, man I was sure dissappointed when I looked at one in the showcase. Dingy brass and not a great lockup on all 6 positions. Sure was different than the online picture, whood a thunk it? I should know better by now. Decided to spend $50 more fore the steel framed 1858 Sheriff Remington. Total of $200 invested and am very pleased with the fit and finish. I like that the cylinder comes out easy for degunking. Balance is great hope to get it out to the range next week. I never thought I could prefer a Renington style over an open top, but there it is.

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old September 7, 2014, 05:26 AM   #2
brazosdave

occassionally, a bad gun slips thru, sounds like that's what happened to you. All of my Pietta's i got from Cabelas were great, with the exception of the last Remmy sheriff (just bought it on the same sale I imagine the original poster did), and it has a clunky action. A little work with the stone, and it should be fine. All the others, steel and brass, were smooth as could be
Old September 7, 2014, 10:57 AM   #3
campingnights

Yep, no manufacturer is perfect otherwise the product would cost the same as custom guns. I still love Cabelas, just going to make sure I take the website pictures with a pinch of salt.

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old September 7, 2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Hawg

I have bought a number of guns from Cabela's online over the years and from catalogs before the internet. So far they've all been good. None of them were brass tho.