The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2008, 02:16 AM   #1
akjob

Dirty case necks after shooting?

I just shot my first reloads ever, in 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. They shot great, good groups first time out of the barn.

I noticed on the 06 especially, that the case necks came out dirty. The 300 necks were a little sooty, but not too much. These first loads were done using the suggested starting loads in my lyman manual. Does this pose a dangerous situation (gas leakage), and what should I do to correct it? I'm wondering if the loads were too light, and the brass wasn't expanding enough, allowing the gas to leak. Also, it did not appear that gas was leaking around the primer, just the case neck area.

Any thoughts/tips appreciated. Thanks,

.30-06 loads
55 grains H 4831
180 grain Sierra
new Winchester brass

.300 loads
69 grains H4831
180 grain sierra
new remington brass
Old April 28, 2008, 02:42 AM   #2
Dumpster Baby

Nothing at all to worry about. I've seen them come out clean, partly dirty, very dirty, all from the same shooting session with the same rifle and ammo.

The soot on the neck will vary from rifle to rifle according to chamber dimensions, and from brass type to brass type, and powder type, and pressure level, and...... so on.

That's what tumblers are for!

Old April 28, 2008, 09:24 PM   #3
akjob

Thanks for the tip, I won't worry about it. I am still puzzled though as to why they got so dirty with my loads, when they aren't normally that dirty shooting factory ammo.
Old April 28, 2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Ruger4570

Some of the "starting" loads are quite mild and just don't expand the neck enough, fast enough to prevent the soot. It is nothing to worry about unless it is going down the body of the case too.
Old April 28, 2008, 11:12 PM   #5
Crooked Creek

If you want to remove the tarnish without investing in a tumbler just yet, pick up a can of "Never-Dull" from a hardware store. It is a wadding polish and will remove the tarnish very quickly, and will not wear or harm the brass. After using it, wipe the residue from the case with a cloth before you lubricate the case for resizing. It is especially handy for reloading at the range. It will also remove the powder "burn marks" from the cylinders of stainless revolvers better than any solvent I have ever tried. A can will last a long time as you can reuse the wadding that you tear off until it is too dry or dirty to save, just put it back in the can a put the lid on.