The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 26, 2007, 08:48 AM   #1
FSCJedi

AOW SxS 12-gage?

I see AOW pump Remington shotguns all the time, but am having a hard time locating a source for an AOW side-by-side. It's my understanding that the Remi shotguns are purchased from the factory w/o a stock. That's what makes them AOW instead of SBS. Is this not an option for side-by-sides?

Molon Labe!
Old October 26, 2007, 02:02 PM   #2
djturnz

The Remingtons and mossberg pumps can also be purchased with a pistol grip, which also makes them capable of being AOWs.

I have never heard of being able to get a SxS receiver direct without a stock. I guess have your dealer contact some manufactureres and ask if the'll sell it that way.

Or just build it as a pistol gripped SBS. Is there a reason you want an AOW instead of an SBS?
Old October 26, 2007, 02:22 PM   #3
VUPDblue

Some states, like Indiana, don't allow SBS's but they do allow AOW's.
Old October 26, 2007, 05:23 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Quote:
don't allow SBS's
They don't allow Side By Sides? Wow, that IS strict.
Old October 26, 2007, 07:17 PM   #5
VUPDblue

Quote:
They don't allow Side By Sides? Wow, that IS strict.
Old October 27, 2007, 01:17 AM   #6
David Hineline

If you find one

These used to be available but at over $1000 people would not pay the money so he stopped importing them.

People will not pay for quality, hence the existance of WalMart.

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315...s/0100/162.htm
Old October 27, 2007, 02:08 AM   #7
FSCJedi

A $5 tax stamp versus a $200 makes a bit of difference on the wallet. On top of that, it was already mentioned that some states allow AOW firearms but not SBS or SBR. Luckily, WV isn't one of those, but it'll make it easier if I ever decide to move.

Thanks for the link, David. At that price, though, it would cost about the same as getting a SBS version after the tax stamp payment. Hmm...

Molon Labe!
Old October 27, 2007, 09:04 AM   #8
SDC

The Ithaca A&B was PRODUCED by Ithaca, not imported, but (like most of the other manufacturers of AOWs in the 1930s), they decided it wasn't worth the hassle to them to make an item that was going to COST them $200 to produce, when they weren't going to sell it for that much anyway. If you make a widget for $5, and the government comes along and tells you that you can still make that widget, but you have to add a $50 tax that goes to them for every widget you make, how long do you expect to be in the widget business? I think Ithaca should get back into the AOW business, but SxS shotguns can be a tricky thing to produce, with a lot of handwork and fitting.
Old October 28, 2007, 06:41 PM   #9
CleverNickname

SDC, SOTs make title II firearms tax-free so there's no difference in tax as far as Ithaca (or any other manufacturer) is concerned.
Old October 29, 2007, 01:25 AM   #10
David Hineline

AOW vs SBS

The $5 tax AOW usually costs you much more than the $200 tax SBS because of the rarity of the item. While a gun manuf. pays nothing to register he is going to charge you something to register then if out of state you will need an in state dealer with a fee, that quickly cuts into the $195 difference in tax, if you want to save money by cutting out the manuf. and dealers you can register yourself, but AOW and SBS registration by non SOTs are both $200 so you are still screwed. There is no free lunch you pay the tax to drive the car you want, just suck it up and pay the tax to have the gun you want.

Any real benifit is in the state laws and ability to transport AOWs across state line without ATF notification.
Old October 29, 2007, 02:00 AM   #11
Bill DeShivs

The "Auto Burglar" gun pictured was not made by Ithaca. It was made by Denny's Guns on an imported frame. They were 20 ga., not 12 ga.
The "Auto Burlar" was also imported by Holland Firearms in 1969. These were made by Sarasqueta in Spain, for law enforcement use.
Of course, Ithaca made the original A&B gun in the 1920s and early 1930s. They were 20 ga. also.
Bill