The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 26, 2012, 07:45 PM   #1
lunger

Accurate handguns that shouldn't be

I was wondering if anyone else had any handguns shoot better than they should. Or one that is nothing special but shoots like it is. For me it is a Norinco 1911 that I bought before the ban. At the time I was reading Guns And Ammo and was a fan of I believe his name was Jan Liberal. He really talked up these 1911's as a good start for a build. So I bought one. I wasn't expecting much. Out of the box it it was really good. So good that I have never changed anything major. I had a local gunsmith smooth up the stock trigger soon after I bought it. I added some nice wood grips, a straight mainspring housing, and recently some Novak adjustable sights.I've owned other 1911's and shot many others and this commie Colt beats most except the high end ones or ones that have had a lot of work.I get alot of guys at the range asking what is that. When I tell them I'll get Ya right or No way. I guess sometimes by chance parts just match or maybe the stars line up .I can't explain it. Just wondering if there are any more flukes likes this out there
Old August 26, 2012, 09:20 PM   #2
osbornk

I have two that are rediculed and shouldn't work as well as they do because they are cheap. They both have a lifetime warranty, are pretty accurate and go bang every time I pull the trigger. I spent less than $300 on both of them together. One is a Hi Point C9 and the other is a Phoenix HP-22A.

Gun snobs will make fun of them but I'm as happy with them as I am with my 2011 Kia Optima that has been totally reliable and economical.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:25 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

I impressed a friend with my PPK some years back. We were shooting small steel targets at about 20-30 yards, he with his Ruger Mk II Govt, and I with my Walther PPK. He had a hard time believing that the little .380 could be shot nearly as fast and accurately as his long barrelled .22LR pistol.
Quote:
I believe his name was Jan Liberal
Close. Jan Libourel.

http://www.amazon.com/Jan-Libourel/e...291060-9980510
Old August 26, 2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I have two that are rediculed and shouldn't work as well as they do because they are cheap. They both have a lifetime warranty, are pretty accurate and go bang every time I pull the trigger. I spent less than $300 on both of them together. One is a Hi Point C9 and the other is a Phoenix HP-22A.
Agree 110% on the Hi-Point. Don't have a Phoenix, so I can't say anything about that one.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 26, 2012, 10:07 PM   #5
DunRanull

Location: Southern Colorado, where a small working knowledge of southwestern Hispanic culture is considered polite.
Lunger, note: FWIW the pre-ban Commie Colts are well known as good well-made accurate guns. Someone on the Central Committee got it right! Sadly, Bill "I didnt have sex with that woman" Clinton banned weapons imports from China and no subsequent president has seen fit to revoke that presidential "law by executive fiat". At least as regrettable, I think, is the fact that I was otherwise occupied at the time and didnt jump on one when the jumping was good. According to gunsmiths I have known over the years the Norinco Colts are a very good foundation for building a more fancy weapon, depending only upon your taste. Thing is, they arent "cheap" anymore!
Ummm... sure and were ya wantin to sell it then?

Last edited by DunRanull; August 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:26 PM   #6
FlySubCompact

osbornk and Cheapshooter....

Another vote for the Phoenix HP-22A. Mine is the long barrel one. I thoroughly enjoy shooting it and have for several years. Small, light and way more accurate than I can shoot.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:55 PM   #7
Dragline45

Quote:
impressed a friend with my PPK some years back. We were shooting small steel targets at about 20-30 yards, he with his Ruger Mk II Govt, and I with my Walther PPK. He had a hard time believing that the little .380 could be shot nearly as fast and accurately as his long barrelled .22LR pistol.
Another vote for the PPK, it has always surprised me with it's accuracy for such a small gun with small fixed sights. My story is similar to yours as in I was shooting steel at about 20yds with my 22/45. Just for kicks I pulled out my PPK and was surprised I was consistently hitting the target.
Old August 27, 2012, 07:22 AM   #8
rodfac

Here's one...a 1943 Remington Rand 19111A1...the trigger is almost two stage, like an '03's or Garand, but with a good let off...smooth all the way through. It has all original parts to include the barrel with no work on anything. It was about 98% condition when I bought it 15 years ago, and may have been one of the old DCM guns from the early 60's. If so, it may not have ever been issued...I base that on the condition overall, especially the bore.

So, how accurate? It'll keep with my Wilson re-barreled and slide tweaked Colt Series 70's...with 66 yo eyes doing the steering, it'll hold less than 2" gps at 25 yds, with my 35 yo former Marine MP son doing the steering from a seated rest, it'll cut one ragged hole at the same distance...

I take great joy hauling it out on the range, letting the younger guys with whiz bang, tricked out and over-priced "race guns" handle it, then punching a magazine full through the same hole from the 15 yd line...it's an old horse, but a good one...

Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:42 AM   #9
TailGator

I used to have an Arminius .22 LR revolver that was a tack driver. Alas, it wore out rather quickly, but it was a fun little bugger for a while.
Old August 27, 2012, 09:42 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

A friend (who was an engineer at a major powder manufacturer came by the house with his very old green-paintedArgentine "1911" and shot with me.
His gun was incredibly accurate, as was his skill with it.

Way back (1980) I had a 38 Special Charter Arms Undercover that with proper handloads was good at knocking over 410 shotshells at 20yds.
Old August 27, 2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Cheapshooter

My newly acquired Taurus PT22 Poly, by it's appearance alone should fit this category. However by the positive accounts of numerous reviews I read prior to it's purchase I was not surprised at it's good accuracy.
Old August 27, 2012, 10:49 AM   #12
micromontenegro

A third vote for the PPK. Surprisingly accurate for a pocket pistol, and easy to shoot to boot.
Old August 27, 2012, 11:08 AM   #13
BRE346

My CZ 75-P07 was a lot more accurate for me than anything else I had at the time. Now I do have one other that will stay with it, but it' s the easier to handle.
Old August 27, 2012, 11:13 AM   #14
DFrame

I have a "Plain as a mud fence" Colt Metropolitan. It's a 4 inch barrel, fixed sights, and a bit blue worn. All it does is outshoot almost everthing else I've ever owned including some very pretty Pythons over the years. Don't know why although I suspect it's VERY thick sturdy barrel has a lot to do with it.
Old August 27, 2012, 12:23 PM   #15
Guv

I had a Metroplitan years ago that was also outstanding in the acurracy department. Sweet trigger pulls as I remember also. Now when talking about guns I have at the present time, my Dad's old Erma XP22 (PPK look alike) will shoot right along with 2 Buckmarks and a heavy barrel MkII Ruger I have!
Old August 27, 2012, 12:38 PM   #16
roashooter

as my byline admits....I really enjoy shooting my Ruger Old Army's.
black powder shooting has its own challenges, but as the years pass, I have been shooting ROAs since 1976, I have come to realize that the ROA is capable of amazing accuracy, when everything is done correctly. and that is the hook, doing it correctly evertime. I have used the ROA as a training tool for new shooters, to work on trigger/sight/hold, as the slight dwell of ignition will force one to concentrate on the tigger/sight/hold.
many times I have been approached at the range by others who witness some of the groups the ROA can/does shoot...just to admit they had not seen anything like it. the devil is in the details, and if one takes the time and the effort to do it.
Old August 27, 2012, 01:13 PM   #17
jasmith85

I had a Rossi .357 snubby that was crazy accurate for what it was. It wasn't quite as accurate as my 1911 but I have never fired another gun with the same barrel length that was even close to the Rossi.
Old August 27, 2012, 01:26 PM   #18
mrt949

Ruger security six .357 mag. accurate .
Old August 27, 2012, 01:44 PM   #19
G.T. Smith

S&W M37

I have a S&W M37 with the 1 7/8" barrel that is accurate for me at7 yards.
I have always had good luck hitting with it shooting standard pressure LRN 158 grain. I shoot it nearly as well as my 4" .357 at that distance. I didn't expect much from a barrel that short, but it is fine.
Have a good one,
gordon
Old August 27, 2012, 01:48 PM   #20
anothernewb

*edit* deleted missed the "handgun" part somehow

Last edited by anothernewb; August 27, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old August 27, 2012, 02:00 PM   #21
Cheapshooter

Very first sentence of the original post:

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone else had any handguns shoot better than they should. Or one that is nothing special but shoots like it is.
Quote:
Ruger security six .357 mag. accurate .
Quote:
Quote:
I have a S&W M37 with the 1 7/8" barrel that is accurate for me at7 yards.
Why would a top quality firearm's accuracy surprise anybody?
Old August 27, 2012, 03:24 PM   #22
Malamute

I was surprised how well the ex's G-19 shot. After getting the sights/hold figured out, I could hit the 18" plate @ 300 yards fairly consistantly. 3-4 out of 10 wasn't out of the question.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old August 27, 2012, 03:49 PM   #23
Nail Shooter

Kahr MK9 (all stainless 9mm) for being so small it is extremely accurate--even out to 25 yrds.

Nail
Old August 28, 2012, 07:07 AM   #24
Undrpsi

Something new...something old....nothing borrowed...

I hve several that shoot well and feel good in the hand...none are "Top Tier" manufacturers...

Bersa 312A (single stack....1988-ish)
This was forgotten in the safe for a while. Took it out last year and found out how soft shooting and accurate this little blast-from-the-past is.

Charter Arms Undercoverette in .32 SWL (1969-ish)
My Great-Grandads revolver....For a little snubnose it shoots well. Probably because of it's light weight and small cartridge.

I got lot's of brand name stuff that seems to have self guiding bullets..but you expect that when you pay $800+ for a weapon...it's those little $200 ones that sometimes amaze me....

I've got a P250 fullsize in .45 ACP that's a horrible example of a well-made, well-designed weapon that can't hit a barn door from INSIDE the barn.

Cheers

Jay
Old August 28, 2012, 07:26 AM   #25
mes228

Accurate

The Keltec PF-9 was a great surprise in just how accurate they are. And how easy they are to shoot accurately. Surprisingly the much larger PF-11 is neither and recoil is much worse. Common sense would dictate the reverse of the situation. Just my experience owning both pistols.