The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 1, 2000, 12:04 PM   #1
Marko Kloos

I just liberated a 1911A1 from a pawn shop a few weeks ago, and the gun has kind of grown on me lately. I shelled out a few bucks for a new recoil spring and magazines, but overall I'd like to keep it as close to the original "G.I." configuration as I can.

I'm dying to know when this gun was manufactured, and who it was issued to. The latter I'll probably never know, but maybe someone can help me with the former. The gun has the "United States Property" and "1911A1 U.S.Army" markings. It has been refinished, so the collectors value is next to nothing, but I'll keep it as a piece of history nonetheless.

The slide has the prancing pony on it, along with the Colt's patent dates.

------------------
"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice." -- Albert Einstein
---
Glock/Benelli/Enfield -- the all-purpose threat management system.
Old November 1, 2000, 04:27 PM   #2
cobraman

I think you can call Colt and they will research the serial number to tell you when it was made. Who it was issued to? Probably too many GI's to list.
Old November 1, 2000, 07:44 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

People on here can tell you when it was made from the serial number. Many of those guns have one maker's frame and another maker's slide and GI pistols had the maker's name only on the slide. With the slide info and the serial, (you can xxx the last three if you want) we should be able to tell if the parts are from the same maker and about when it was made.

It is impossible to tell to whom it was issued; records of that sort were never retained.

Jim
Old November 2, 2000, 12:30 PM   #4
Marko Kloos

Of course, supplying the serial number would have been a smart idea to begin with.

The slide has the Colt patent dates on it, on the right side of the prancing pony it says "Colt's Pt. Fa. Mfg Co., Hartford, Ct., U.S.A". The serial number on the frame is No.22757XX. The frame also has three letters stamped into it just underneath the serial number; the letters are lined up with the forward edge of the right grip panel. The letters are "RIA", I am assuming they're the initials of the previous owner.

Colt's can trace the manufaturing history of the gun, but they are asking for a bunch of money for their service. Kind of difficult to justify a $100 trace on a $350 gun.

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide.

------------------
"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice." -- Albert Einstein
---
Glock/Benelli/Enfield -- the all-purpose threat management system.

[This message has been edited by lendringser (edited November 02, 2000).]
Old November 2, 2000, 02:41 PM   #5
cobraman

I'll give ya $355 for it right now Man I have to get my butt to some pawn shops.
Old November 2, 2000, 05:39 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The serial number would indicate manufacture by Colt in 1945. The "RIA" is Rock Island Arsenal, and indicates that the gun was rebuilt (and possibly refinished) at that facility at some timein the post WWII period. The frame and slide came from the same maker (Colt) but may not have originally been together. Other parts may not be original or even of Colt manufacture.

It sounds like you have a good shooter at a very good price, but it is unlikely to have much collector value. Still, it is a pistol that is "GI" and has historical value.

I can also tell you that you have a pistol that is better made than any of the "cast clones" available today.

Happy shooting.

Jim