The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2000, 12:31 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

Am I the only person who uses their finger to remove and install choke tubes??? I get weird looks whenever I do this! I've shot 2 rounds of trap and 1 round of 5 stand in the past week and the Mod. tube is still tight. I've never used the wrench as it is inconvenient in the field. I've also never had a tube work loose.
Old November 16, 2000, 06:44 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

PS, first time I've heard of it. If it works for you, fine.

One 870 here is fitted for the Colonial tubes, which use a quarter piece as a wrench.
Old November 17, 2000, 08:03 PM   #3
K80Geoff

choke tube wrench

Well I guess if the tube stays in than it is OK. I have seen some Sporting Clays Shooters use their fingers and never have a problem.

I don't know how often you change chokes but when I was shooting Sporting Clays a lot I changed chokes all the time, sometimes six times during a round or more.
I like the fishing reel wrench sold by Briley for their tubes, it is verry fast and easy to use.

I notice many Gas Gun shooters always tightening the extended chokes on their Beretta 390's. Usually they do this after they enter the stand but before loading. Wonder if there is a problem with beretta chokes?

Having once damaged a choke tube in my K80 when it wasn't all the way in I am paranoid and always tighten with a wrench. But then I am way too protetive of my guns anyway. I blow out the barrels after every shot and check the tubes, (Nothing like being obsessive!)

Geoff Ross

Old November 21, 2000, 07:46 PM   #4
PJR

Sorry, double tap.
Old November 21, 2000, 07:48 PM   #5
PJR

Geoff:

Beretta chokes or more correctly their barrel threads can be a pain. I have a 682 with Briley chokes that fit correctly but are forever loosening in my 390. Yet, on a recent round of sporting another shooter with a 687 had only brought modified and full chokes with him and I offered to lend him my skeet tubes. We couldn't fit them in the gun because the threading was too tight. Go figure.

On the original topic I always use a wrench to put the tubes in.

Old November 21, 2000, 11:53 PM   #6
Poodleshooter

Guess I'm just lucky to have crooked fingers that fit well inside a 12ga bore