The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 26, 2012, 09:58 PM   #1
medalguy

Form 1 times, anyone else?

I submitted a Form 1 for an SBR back in early May and today called Martinsburg to check status. I was told they were running about 8-9 months and I should not expect to hear anything until February.

Has anyone else experienced this time frame?

BTW I also checked on a Form 3 transfer to my FFL and that one took just 3 months.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:22 PM   #2
CCCLVII

When I called today I was quoted 5-6 months.

I think they just randomly pull papers cause I am hearing stories of people that put there paper work in late June and are getting there stamps now and then I hear stories of people putting in there paperwork in may and still have not seen any thing.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:54 PM   #3
medalguy

Yeah I'm sorta hearing the same thing from others too. Luck of the draw I suppose but 8-9 months does seem a bit excessive. Why in the world would it take that long to approve a SBR form when I already own a number of Title II weapons? Maybe to discourage us from getting any more according to my wife. Maybe she's right.
Old December 1, 2012, 06:57 AM   #4
kimbershot

i've had the same thoughts re excessive time frame and expressed them in other forums. those who have never had a nfa item seem to think it's a "special" deal and takes time. well--if your legal and it's legal and you have been through the drill before, then the only logical (critical thinking) explanation is that the goberment is screwed up or messing with your head-i'll leave it to you to decide.

in any event, if you can't get the trains to run on time, lose billions on postal services, promote 87K electric cars that don't work and no one in their right mind would buy and pay 26.00/gal for bio jet fuel for military operations--don't worry about black helicopters or drones spying on you.
Old December 1, 2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Rob62

I recently (within the past 4 months) received back both a Form 4 and Form 1. Both took right at about 8 months to process. That was using a Revocable Living Trust to do the transaction through.

8-9 months sounds like the time it is or will take right now. Guess I will find out shortly as I am doing another Form 1 item and will be sending it off within the next week or two.

I think the issue is a lot of these tax stamp requests are being submitted, and there are not enough people to process them. No "sinister" reason behind them taking so long, just typical .gov bureaucracy.

Season's Greetings,

Rob
Old December 1, 2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Lark

I was told to expect 6 months, should have it back in this month.

Lark
Old December 2, 2012, 12:22 AM   #7
Deja vu

I was told 5-6 months. Its all most 6 months now.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old December 2, 2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Austin296

I have 3 form 4s and a form 1 in with the ATF right now.

the first one was submitted the week before fathersday and it should be here just before christmas. i was told 6 months wait on the others...
Old December 3, 2012, 11:09 PM   #9
medalguy

I have more than 14 NFA items already, so they DO know who I am. All are machine guns except one SBR that was '68 amnesty registered. I've previously had bazookas and a live 60mm mortar. Why SHOULD it take them 8 months to decide I'm OK to have another toy?
Old December 4, 2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Lark

I know a bunch of guys just like you. We all have our applications go to the bottom of the stack of paper in the examiner's in box awaiting her signature.

Lark
Old December 5, 2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Rob62

I guess I will find out first hand how long it is taking right now. About two hours ago I mailed a Form 1, copy of my RLT, Certification of compliance statement, and check for $200 to the BATFE for an SBR project.

Season's Greetings,

Rob
Old December 6, 2012, 11:40 PM   #12
medalguy

HOORAY!!!

Stamp arrived today. Time to celebrate.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Coach Z

Congrats, dang I'd sort of forgotten about the stamps I'm waiting for...Where's mine dang it!!!