The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 19, 2010, 11:54 AM   #1
shimanole

Please help identify

This rifle was left to me by my father and is the only one I cannot identify, not even the caliber. The best informtion I can find on the gun is Made in Belgium on the barrel and Pachmayr Gunsmith on the butt. Not sure what the double trigger is either. Thanks for any help.

I have several more photos that I can send.100_0591.JPG

100_0592.JPG

100_0595.JPG
Old November 19, 2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Scorch

Your rifle is a commercial Mauser 98 variant made on an FN commercial Mauser 98 action. The double triggers are called "double set triggers" (as opposed to a single set trigger). The rifle can be fired using the front trigger alone, or (for a supported, well aimed shot) the normal trigger pull can be substantially reduced by "setting" the rear trigger prior to firing the rifle (again using the front trigger). Set triggers are common on European hunting rifles, not so much on hunting rifles in the USA. Another clue that it was originally a European hunting rifle are the scope mounts, claw mounts and front bell mounts are almost exclusively a European thing.

The recoil pad is a Pachmayer recoil pad, and was installed by a gunsmith in order to reduce the felt recoil when firing the rifle.

All this still does not tell you what cartridge your rifle is chambered to fire. A gunsmith can help you out by doing a chamber cast if the barrel is unmarked.
Old November 19, 2010, 02:20 PM   #3
roberto mervicini

Hi Simanole, nice rifle..., I like to ad a word in regard to the double set triggers: personally I like it a lot, I have few rifle set up with it, as Scorch mention once the rear trigger is set ( pull ) and you hear a click, you just have arm the spring that will kick the hammer when the front trigger is pull...and the pull on the front one is reduced considerably pending on your adjustment... to one pound or even less, because of the light pull you could concentrate more on the target and improve your precision.
However there is one danger, once the rear trigger is set (pull ) if you decide not to take the shoot, and open the bolt to remove the round, the hammer remain arm consequently next time you chamber a new round the front trigger is STILL ARM FROM THE PREVIOUS TIME AND VERY SENSITIVE!!!!!
To completely disarm the double set trigger if the rear trigger has been set (pull ) and not fired, once the round is removed from the chamber you must also pull the front trigger to desingage the hammer.
To familiarize with the pull is not necessary to bolt the rifle, you could practice on one empty chamber even without the bolt pull the rear to set the hammer and then pull the front to fire.
________
roberto
Old November 19, 2010, 04:20 PM   #4
shimanole

Thanks for all the valuable information and the safety tip. I will definitely practice a few times without a round chambered.
Old November 28, 2010, 01:44 PM   #5
freqlord

I'll be stuck in a bucket of mud..

We practically have the same rifle. Mine was chambered for 30-06 and doesn't have the double set of triggers.
My Dad bought it back in the 70s in PA for $60. When we took it in to get tapped for a scope mount, the gun smith broke three of his bits on it.
It's a very good rifle, enjoy it.
God Speed.