The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2008, 10:45 PM   #1
kjshank1

Need 9mm powder suggestion

I just bought a Beretta 9000s type f in 9mm. In the near future I will begin reloading for it. I plan on using Montana gold's 124gr JHP as a Plinker/SHTF load. I'm not sure what powder to use. I have been using W231 loading my .380 Makarov, which works ok, but it looks like I could squeeze a few more fps out of some other powders. Thanks in advance for your help. BTW if any of you have any first hand experience with the 9000 or have reloaded for the 9000, any tips you may have picked up about this gun would be appreciated also.
Old January 7, 2008, 10:59 PM   #2
zxcvbob

My favorite 9mm powder is Green Dot, and my 2nd favorite is PROMO because it also works well and it's so cheap. But if you really want to squeeze as much out of a 9mm as possible, try Power Pistol or WSF.
Old January 8, 2008, 12:02 AM   #3
DMZX

I use a great deal of Universal with the 9mm. I have also used Unique and 231, but I seem to grab the Universal more often than not.
Old January 8, 2008, 12:22 AM   #4
TexasSeaRay

I do AA#2 for my 9mm LRN rounds, and AA#5 for my jacketed rounds.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old January 8, 2008, 12:58 AM   #5
Scorch

I don't have a 9mm anymore, but I used to load it with Unique.
Old January 8, 2008, 08:06 AM   #6
gandog56

I've used Unique because it's the cheapest(Less powder used for same bang), or HP-38 because it was a lot cleaner burn. A few were loaded with Win 231.
Old January 8, 2008, 08:09 AM   #7
nate45

Power Pistol
Old January 8, 2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Sevens

I've always considered myself one of the most frugal guys on planet. But even I can't possibly justify cost-savings associated with powder usage on any cartridge that eats less than 10 grains of powder.

I'm looking for accuracy, consistency, ease of metering, cleanliness and versatility in a powder.

But I just don't lose sleep over pennies or fractions of pennies. You can make up the "expense" by skipping one trip in your car to anywhere at $3.00+ per gallon. Or by flipping off a few lights in the house, turning the thermostat down a couple degrees or jumping out of the shower a minute or two sooner.
Old January 8, 2008, 09:27 AM   #9
kjshank1

I agree 100% sevens, I'm not looking to save money on powder. If my calculations are correct, each round has less than 1 cent worth of powder in it. I can figure out which one is cheapest by sorting them on midways website. I was looking for a suggestion as far as performance. Which ones burn the cleanest. Is there one powder that you have found more accurate. Does one meter easier. I have also thought about muzzle blast. The only thing I have reloaded with so far is W231, I'm getting ready to run out. I was just wondering if that was the best thing for my application. Cause now is a good time to change if I'm gonna. I'm thinking about buying a small bottle of a few different powders & experimenting some. Anybody use Vihtavuori, I was looking at there load data & it seems like you can get a little bit more speed out of some of there powders, at least on paper.
Old January 8, 2008, 09:29 AM   #10
armoredman

I use AA#7 for my 9mm JHP/FMJ handloads, goodstuff, and not that expensive, I think it runs about $15 a pound at Sportsman's Warehouse here in AZ.
Old January 8, 2008, 09:48 AM   #11
zxcvbob

In a 9mm loaded to the high end, *any*appropriate powder (even Green Dot, which has a reputation for being dirty) should burn clean. Green Dot has given me the highest velocities of any powders I've tried when using cast bullets, but I haven't tried the WSF, Power Pistol, or WAP yet. Those three should do even better than GD -- but maybe not with cast bullets, I dunno yet.

231 is supposed to be a good one; what do you want to change? That will help answer you question better.
Old January 8, 2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Crimp

Win 231 will give you decent target loads along with the other faster powders, but I would recommend a slower powder for a performance load in the higher-pressure 9mm round. HS-6, Ramshot True Blue or Silhouette, VV N340 or 3N37, Accurate No 7. Power Pistol is good if you don't mind the flash. I personally like and use True Blue for 9mm.

West Virginians: Consider joining the West Virginia Citizens Defense League.
Old January 8, 2008, 09:58 AM   #13
kjshank1

I don't know if I want to change anything. I guess thats what I'm trying to find out. W231 is all I have used, so I guess I'm just curious about other powders.
Old January 8, 2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

While I know that there are many good powders available, it would be remiss not to name the one 9mm powder that all others are judged by: HS-6

My favorite loads:
147g SP TMC (.355), 4.9g
124g SP GDHP (.355), 6.8g
125g FMJ (pulled PMC .356), 6.7g
115g XTP (.355), 7.0g
90g SP GDHP (.355), 7.8g

I shoot a Ruger P89 and a KelTec P11. All of the above are excellent plinking rounds in both handguns except the 147g TMC. Too short a barrel to stabilize properly.

As always, YMMV.
Old January 8, 2008, 12:32 PM   #15
ShootingNut

My favorite so far, has been 3.6 - 3.8 grains of Titegroup over a 125 grain 9mm cast lead bullet.
SN
Old January 8, 2008, 02:35 PM   #16
schmellba99

I've always used Unique with little issue. Pretty clean burning and a good overall powder.

However, I am going to go with many suggestions that I've recieved when it comes time to buy powder again and get the Hogdon Universal Clays. The charge weight is almost identical to Unique, but it is supposed to be a much cleaner burning powder at about the same price.
Old January 8, 2008, 03:48 PM   #17
nobody_special

I'm using 5.4 gr. of Ramshot Silhouette and Rainier plated bullets... works for me.
Old January 8, 2008, 08:22 PM   #18
HankB

I use 700X for both 9mm and .45 . . . simply got into that habit when I was shooting trap competitively and was buying that powder in 12-lb kegs. It burns clean and will duplicate "standard" loads quite easily, but it isn't the best for "+P" ammo.
Old January 8, 2008, 11:09 PM   #19
.45 COLT

For 124 grain bullets I use either Unique or Blue Dot. For some serious SHTF loads, a 147 grain JHP with VihtaVuori 3N38 powder.

DC
Old January 8, 2008, 11:12 PM   #20
FM12

115 JHP and 4.5 grains of Bullseye.
Old January 9, 2008, 08:21 AM   #21
DWARREN123

I use Hodgdon powders so Universal, LongShot, HP-38 and TiteGroup.
Old January 9, 2008, 08:37 AM   #22
The Lovemaster

Unique but looking to change

I'm currently using Unique but will be changing once it runs out, because it burns to dirty.

Thanks to all who posted on this thread, should make my choice simpler!
Old January 9, 2008, 12:36 PM   #23
gus3836

is it worth it?

9mm is the only CF cartridge that I do not reload. If I watch the sales you can buy them for 6 or 7 dollars a box. Ball park what does it cost to reload a box of 9mm. Thanks Gus
Old January 9, 2008, 12:45 PM   #24
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Vega
I'm currently using Unique but will be changing once it runs out, because it burns to dirty.
Boy, I hear that.

When I first started reloading, I used a lot of Unique because I was told it one of the more forgiving powders.

The folks at Hoppes and Shooter's Choice sent me regular notes of appreciation.

I still have some Unique and still use it in some applications, but not very often. I switched to the Accurate Arms powders and have never looked back. I still load with Bullseye and 2400, but don't see much Unique in the future. However, I've loaded so many rounds with it, it's like an old friend--I'll always keep some around, because you never know.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old January 9, 2008, 01:30 PM   #25
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus3836
is it worth it?
All depends, I suppose.

A 1lb. can of HS-6 costs me $19.50 (tax included). With an average load of 6.7g, that works out to .03 per cartridge.

My last purchase of bullets were 500 (125g FN-FMJ)for $30, which works out to .06 per cartridge. Pretty cheap for FMJ.

Primers were 1000 for $19.50 or .02 per cartridge.

The brass was more or less free. I'd been saving my 9mm brass (actually, all my brass since '97) for years prior to reloading. Mostly Win, but a few hundreds of other types.

So that's what? 11.21 cents per cartridge? About what I was paying for the 100 count WWB about 2 years ago at wally world. And that was for 115g FMJ. Now I have 125g FMJ for the same price.

If I were to purchased some cast bullets, the price would been a tad cheaper.

It was last summer that I finally realized that with all the price increases, that 9mm was finally cost efficient, for plinking ammo.

(Of course, if you have to buy brass... Then your cost will be more.)

Even at the current component prices, I can load 100 rounds of SP GDHP at +P pressures to duplicate my carry load, cheaper than I can buy the factory ammo. I have on hand 500+ pieces of Speer nickle plated brass for this process. Thus I can still practice with my carry load, cheaper than buying that load.