The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 13, 2012, 09:37 PM   #1
kraigwy

Pin shoots Edit to add match

I just found out our club (Newcastle WY) had about 20 boxes of bowling pins.

I asked why we don't have pin shoots, answer "no one wants to run them"

So I'm gonna have bowling pin shoots if I can get any interest.

Anyone near North East Wyoming that would be interested in bowling pin shoots let me know and I'll put on the matches.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; August 14, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old August 13, 2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Drummer101

To bad I am a few states away and have no appropriate firearm

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2
Old August 14, 2012, 02:53 PM   #3
kraigwy

OK,

The first shoot (Pin Match) will be Sept 8th 2012,, 12 AM Weston County Sportsman's Club Range, Newcastle WY

There will be two catagories, Center Fire and Rim Fire.

PM me for further information.
Old September 8, 2012, 11:00 PM   #4
RoGrrr

So Kraigwy
TELL us how it went today !
I shot 3 rounds today with some times under 8 seconds in the stock and open, and 2 tables under 5 seconds in rimfire.
I've only been shooting pistols for a year or so, which makes me happy to be at least THIS good....
RoGrrr
Old September 9, 2012, 08:24 PM   #5
kraigwy

It went good. We don't do times, its man vs man, double elimanation so I don't know the times.

We did the CF and RF.

This was a benifit shoot for "Helping Hands of Weston Country). We had 14 shooters, but you can double that because mose shot both events. Raised a little bit of money for charity and had a ball.

14 shooters doesn't sound like a lot but you got to figure this is a pretty small county population wise.

We had a lot of fun and if I can get some interest I'll try to put on another pen shoot this fall.
Old September 9, 2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Navy joe

Been to one pin shoot, won it, was so much fun, especially because we had a big IPSC crowd where most people knew each other. Wish pin shoots were still popular, really fun social event.
Old September 9, 2012, 09:29 PM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
We don't do times, its man vs man, double elimanation so I don't know the times
It is much more fun that way, IME!
Old September 9, 2012, 10:04 PM   #8
RoGrrr

We hold our shoots at a state owned park/range. Unfortunately, we can't do them during normal "open hours" (part of the state's charter and one of our conditions of the lease) so we start at 4P one weekend a month starting at range closing time. During warm seasons, the club is open 4 days a week. It closes early November til Spring and then we shoot one Sunday morning a month.

If it weren't for our club leasing the range from the state, there probably wouldn't even be a range there. Bcuz the range is there, the state wildlife/park patrol officers come to qualify one day a quarter, too.

Everything there belongs to the club. I don't know about the clubhouse or shooting shelters, tho.

All this gives up wide latitudes to do as we wish and if it's not the monthly pin shoot, one of the officers runs a 22 shoot a couple other days a month when the range is closed. We start after work and shoot as long as we wish.

We shoot pins bcuz we WANT to and we get away with it bcuz the club officers want to do it. We have anywhere from 15 to 30 shooters in our group.

So if you want to shoot pins, get a group together and organize a regular competition and all chip in for the administration/labor of it. You don't have to do any paperwork if you don't want to. We all lend a hand in the shoots and it makes setup and teardown go quickly. We all set pins too.
We post the times in our club newsletter just for information and to watch our personal development (bragging rights, you know). I've only been shooting a pistol for a year or so and have cut my times in half. This is more fun than a human being should be allowed to have. (where have you heard that one before ?)
Old September 10, 2012, 08:37 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

kraigwy,

It's good to hear everything went well, especially when it's for a good cause.

Pin Shooting was my first love when it came to competition shooting.
Even though pin shooting is a timed event the Nationals that was held at Waterloo Iowa had a man against man side event, I always enjoyed that.

I just got back from Wyoming about three weeks ago, was up in the Northeast corner, beautiful country, it would not take much to convince me to live in Wyoming.

Keep up the good work and best of luck in any future shoots you have.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old September 10, 2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Roland Thunder

We have a pin shoot every Thurs night at the range I go to. We shoot centerfire on the 1st and 3rd Thurs, rimfire on the 2nd Thu and revolvers on the 4th Thurs. It's based on time.

Loads of fun.

Here's one of the guys knocking out all 5 pins in 2.66 seconds.
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/524...faqnmpjayv.mp4
Old September 11, 2012, 08:31 AM   #11
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Here's one of the guys knocking out all 5 pins in 2.66 seconds.
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/524...faqnmpjayv.mp4
Decent run.

The fastest I ever cleaned a five pin set on a regulation table, timed by a last shot stop timer was 1.65 seconds.

A regulation table and pin set is a tiered table with two pins on the top shelf and three pins on the bottom.
The table itself is three feet deep complete with end plates, and all pins have to be off the table before your time stops.

As a matter of fact at a regulation shoot you are timed by people with stop watches and your time does not stop until your last pin is on the ground.

There's a video on my web site that a gentleman sent to me of me shooting pins in South Connellsville PA, good picture of regulation tables in the video.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old September 11, 2012, 12:50 PM   #12
kraigwy

I'm not the fastest by a long shot. But I bet there are few who has as much fun.

Anyway since the match I've got several request for another one. I'm trying to pick a date but have to worry about our up coming Wyoming hunting season. Hard to get shooters.

Any way, I'm working up a list of matches next year, and lining up charities. Looking hard at Wounded Warriors. Can't think of a better one.

So keep watch, I'll post the dates as soon as I can work them out.

No since is letting those pins go to waste.
Old September 11, 2012, 01:45 PM   #13
zxcvbob

With a revolver, what's the best bullet type for shooting pins? Full-power DEWC's? Or heavy-for-caliber RNFP's?
Old September 11, 2012, 02:20 PM   #14
kraigwy

I use SWCs, they work great. Don't go too heavy velocity wise, its not needed. I think +p 38 velocities are better then full blown 357s. Both will knock them off the table but with the +P recovery time is much faster. You can speng more time looking for your front sight and less time hunting for the next pin.
Old September 12, 2012, 01:47 PM   #15
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy
I'm not the fastest by a long shot. But I bet there are few who has as much fun.
I'm in the same boat you are, I am in it mainly for the fun of it. I usually finish near the bottom. We pretty much have anywhere from 12 to 20 shooters and the same 2 or 3 guys win it every week, but what the heck, it's fun.