The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 7, 2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Chap

Help me with "clamshell" safe

A while ago (year?) I was surfing the web and found a type of quick access gun "safe" that held the gun in a clamshell that was mounted to the wall. There were different sizes for shotgun, small pistol/revolver, large pistol/revolver. It only clamped around the receiver of the gun, was not very expensive ($50?), and used a tubular key to open the clamshell.

Of course now I can't find them at all, which either means that they didn't work and went out of business, or I just don't remember what they were called.

I would very much like to mount a shotgun, 44 or similar in such device that allows fast access, but I can't find them!!!!

Help out a forgetfull gun nut.

Thanks.
Old October 7, 2006, 07:28 PM   #2
skeeter1

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it just might do:

http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus.../gc-500-5.html
Old October 7, 2006, 11:55 PM   #3
Hedley

Is it something like these lockable racks?
http://gunracks.tylerrose.com/
Old October 8, 2006, 09:16 AM   #4
Chap

Not quite

The gun cuff is closer. The mystery case would hold a single pistol or shotgun and the plastic/metal case covered the action and trigger.

What I really liked about was that it could hold a shotgun that you could have fast access to, yet was fairly secure for those that did not have a key.
Old October 8, 2006, 09:43 AM   #5
Chap

Found it!!

I'm not going crazy... http://www.mogulsecurity.com/lifejacket/intro.html

Anyone have any experience with these?
Old October 8, 2006, 05:43 PM   #6
HiPowering Along

Location: PA - Land of taxes, potholes and unfortunately Ed "Gun Grabbin' Fast Eddie" Rendell
Not too impressed with the materials

"constructed of high strength polycarbonates"...

Plastic. Hates cold. Shatters under really cold temperatures and a good whack with a hammer. Take a can of "freeze-it" (like what computer techs use to rule out bad capacitors/electronic connectors - freezes them with the spray), freon or whatever will significantly lower the temperature of it, spray it around the lock, and whack with a hammer.

I wouldn't bet the ranch or the safety of my family that it wouldn't crack and say bye-bye to the firearm....

Just my fairly educated $0.02...
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." - One of the greatest sentences ever written into an instrument of democracy.
Old October 8, 2006, 07:14 PM   #7
FPrice

I use them and find them to be very good. Very large revolvers with big grips usually don't fit but most other handguns do. One of the pluses I have found is that it protects the finish from scratching better than most other types of locks.

Nothing short of a safe fastened to a very hard surface will provide fool-proof security, super-cold sprays or not. And even those can be defeated by a determined thief with time and equipment.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai