The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 24, 2014, 03:09 PM   #1
boltomatic

A2 style stock with h2 buffer, standard GI buffer spring, and carbine extension tube?

I am looking for a fixed A2 style AR-15 stock that uses a carbine receiver extension, standard GI buffer spring, and H2 buffer.

Reason is I just bought an AAC 9" 300blk upper for an SBR build, which requires a "carbine extension tube, standard GI buffer spring, and an H2 buffer" according to AAC's website. (as well as the lower and other parts, but I'm just talking about the stock here!)

BUT I also want to be able to swap an AWB legal upper on the same lower because I have a vacation home in a state where the SBR and a collapsible stock are illegal, so I would rather not have to change the stock every time I travel. With a fixed stock, I could simply swap out for a legal upper whenever I go to the other state which take seconds. Changing the stock every time would be annoying and I would rather not pay for two stocks.

Also, I prefer an A2 style fixed stock anyway.

This is my first AR build and I'm not an expert on all the parts, so maybe I'm confused for the wrong reasons but it seems like no one makes fixed stocks that use the carbine extension tubes, gi spring, and h2 buffer as required for my SBR build.

I prefer the standard A2 style stock, but any fixed stock would do if no one makes a compatible A2 style stock.

Thank you in advance for any helpful answers!
Old July 24, 2014, 03:39 PM   #2
TATER

MagPul offers a fixed MOE stock, Thats an easy fix to your prob.
Old July 24, 2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Sharkbite

If i understand you, you want to run a carbine buffer set up with a rifle stock.

Easy, just put a spacer in the full length buffer tube and run the carbine length buffer and spring. RRA has em for like $8

Check out 300blktalk.com
Old July 24, 2014, 09:46 PM   #4
HKFan9

I think I understand what you are asking...... you want an A2 stock, that will fit on your carbine adjustable buffer tube. Unfortunately I have never seen or heard of one. Your easiest bet would be to order an A2 stock kit (Stock, Rifle extension tube, rifle buffer, and spring) and if cost is what you are worried about you can always sell your carbine parts to off set the costs.
Old July 24, 2014, 09:47 PM   #5
marine6680

I'm not sure you can just swap the upper on the rifle and be good to go.

SBRs are registered by the serial number... I believe you have to include the serial number in the paperwork when you get the stamp...

So if a state does not allow SBRs, even if the upper is non-SBR, you may not be allowed. As the rifle is technically registered as an SBR... You would even need to get permission to leave the state with it to start with.

This is why many people are switching to the Sig arm brace. No SBR paperwork and hassle.
Old July 25, 2014, 09:51 AM   #6
boltomatic

Thanks for the replies, it seems like it really is as simple as just using a spacer, and 300blktalk.com is a great site so thanks for posting that as well.

As for the legality of bringing a registered lower out of state, I don't think its an issue. When you apply for the tax stamp, you are basically just getting permission from the ATF to build and own SBR on a specific lower receiver. If you put a different upper on that lower, its no longer a SBR and as long as the configuration is legal for the state you are in, you're fine. That said, I'd rather be safe than sorry so I'll double check before I travel. On a related note, you do need to fill out a form if transporting a registered SBR configured as such out of state. But thanks for the warning, better safe than sorry!
Old July 25, 2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Destructo6

Quote:
If you put a different upper on that lower, its no longer a SBR and as long as the configuration is legal for the state you are in, you're fine.
I don't think it works that way.

The lower is a registered SBR, regardless of configuration until you notify ATF that you would like to de-register it. From ATF's website:
Quote:
Q: I possess a properly registered SBR or SBS. I intend to strip the receiver and remove the barrel prior to selling the receiver. Is the bare receiver still subject to regulation under the NFA as a SBR or SBS?

A stripped receiver without a barrel does not meet the definition of a SBR or SBS under the NFA. Although the previously registered firearm would remain registered unless the possessor notified the NFA Branch of the change, there is no provision in statute or regulation requiring registration of a firearm without a barrel because its physical characteristics would make it only a GCA “firearm” pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3)(B). If the subsequent owner buys the receiver as a GCA firearm and installs a barrel less than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS), the firearm would be subject to a $200 making tax and registration under the NFA by the manufacturer or maker of the SBR or SBS. Because registration depends upon the stated intent of the applicant, there is no provision to allow registration of a NFA firearm by anyone other than the maker or manufacturer.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nati...#receiver-sale

Keep all of them clean.
Old July 25, 2014, 04:05 PM   #8
Sharkbite

A registered SBR may be converted back into a non-NFA firearm at any point by the addition of a longer barrel. You may then travel to any state where that long barreled rifle is legal and upon returning to your state put the firearm back into its SBR configured length

Temporarily changing the config does not remove it from the NFA Registry but it is not an SBR with a 16+ inch barrel. So its legal to travel with
Old July 25, 2014, 05:02 PM   #9
tahunua001

seriously? I don't even see why people are getting hung up on this. you're not bringing an SBR into the state, therefore, the state would have no reason to run the numbers in the first place. second the SBR registry does not apply the same way that full auto registry applies. it is not a "once and always" type of deal, it just means that it is legal to make that rifle an SBR should you so choose and vice versa. if it meets the requirements of whatever Nazi state the OP is going to then it is legal in that state no matter what paperwork ATF has on file.

Tags
ar-15 , buffer tube , lower build , stocks