The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 4, 2007, 08:00 PM   #1
45Marlin carbine

Venison cooking

anyone looking forward to roasting ribs over medium applewood fire and saucing 'em real good?
Old November 4, 2007, 08:10 PM   #2
ActivShootr

Not enough meat on the whitetail ribs 'round here. The backstrap cut into medalions, wrapped in bacon, and grilled to perfection is some fine eatin' though.
Old November 4, 2007, 09:25 PM   #3
zahnzieh

Dont the ribs have a lot of the tallow fat to them - tastes like candle wax? In my opinion, with venison either cook it slow (stew it) or fast on the grill wrapped in double-smoked bacon - yum!
Old November 4, 2007, 10:47 PM   #4
RoscoeC

Just finished a dinner of pan seared venison medalions (in butter of course) with a mushroom / wine sauce and mashed potatoes and asparagus. Killer! None of the deer I have ever harvested have had enough meat on the ribs to make them worth fooling with. Fat on most deer in these parts is a pretty rare thing. Might see some this year though, due to record rainfall and acorn crop.
NRA Life Member
Old November 6, 2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Clayfish

I just finished butterflied backstraps. Split the strap down the middle most of the way and it will lay flat like a strip steak. Marinate and grill to medium well. Put a little on your forehead and your toungue will beat your brains out trying to get to it.
Old November 7, 2007, 02:55 AM   #6
CamoCop

i get my venison processed into cubed steak or ground to hamburger. throughout the year, whatever meals me and the wife eat that calls for hamburger, we cook it with ground venison (chili, speghetti, meeat loaf, etc.)
Old November 7, 2007, 03:42 AM   #7
moose fat

I'm drooooling.

Sob sob, the first blacktail I got in Sitka I took home and cut it up and packaged it when my wife was pregnant with our first son. She turns pale when I even mention deer.
Old November 7, 2007, 04:12 AM   #8
predator86

i took part of the neck meat from this years bow season 7 pointer and did up some roasts...2-2.5 lb. roast seasoned with lawry salt, pepper and garlic and then wrapped in bacon. covered in tin foil and put it in the oven for 6 hours on 270. forget the knife, it falls apart when you are unwrapping it!!
Old November 7, 2007, 04:31 AM   #9
Austin Cowart

????

What happened here? This thread shrunk.