The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 12, 2000, 08:51 PM   #1
BBanks

I need a clip iwb for a stainless para p12. Which should I purchase? Galco deep cover, Bianchi 100 professonal or the alessi Talon?

Thanks
Old October 13, 2000, 08:42 AM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BBanks:
I need a clip iwb for a stainless para p12. Which should I purchase? Galco deep cover, Bianchi 100 professonal or the alessi Talon?

Thanks
[/quote]

I have the Galco Deep Cover myself and I wasn't all that happy with it. Its fatter than most other IWB holsters and the J-hook protudes out from underneath the belt just a bit too much for my liking.

Also, the holster relies completely on the J-hook since it lacks much "clamp-down" power, meaning you must wear a good fitting belt or else the holster comes out with the gun.

Don't know anything about the Bianchi and have no personal experience with Alessi, although I have seen a lot of glowing reviews of Alessi both here and elsewhere.
Old October 13, 2000, 02:14 PM   #3
Ledbetter

If you've never had a clip-on IWB, try one. Most people think they are a POS. Very inconvenient if the holster breaks away from your belt when you draw.

Regards,

Ledbetter
Old October 13, 2000, 03:00 PM   #4
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

I have an Alessi Talon. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have bought it. I do not care for clip on holsters. They come off my double thickness belt too easily.
Old October 13, 2000, 04:47 PM   #5
OF

I can't say enough good things about the Alessi Talon Plus. I clip the thing to my jeans, behind my belt, and it is secure as anything. I've never had it even threaten to release the holster on a draw.

At $55, I'd give the Talon Plus a try. It's (IMHO) the best clip-on IWB on the market. It works as advertised. Search the archives here for Talon and read up. Or you can head over to the GunSpot forums and talk to Lou Alessi himself about it.

- gabe
Old October 14, 2000, 12:12 PM   #6
skdtac

BBanks,
Generally, "clip-on" holsters don't offer much support in terms of shifting, and they are not very secure.

We carry Ky-Tac, which is custom hand-made kydex gear. Dave Elderton of Ky-Tac has developed a clip that rotates onto a 1.5" belt and stays put. The result is a series of holsters and pouches that have all the convenience of a clip, without any of the retention issues.

As far as IWB is concerned, the Braveheart model is the best available in our opinion. For more info, please visit:
http://www.skdtac.com/category.asp?categoryid=5 and look under the Braveheart for the 1911 Officers- custom fit for P12s and Colt Officers Models.

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.
Old October 14, 2000, 01:15 PM   #7
Pampers

Milt Sparks Versa-Max II. End of story.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle
Old October 14, 2000, 03:30 PM   #8
LeonMichaels

I have several Alessi Talon Plus holsters. His patented clip is designed to be used with or without a belt. You can carry while wearing a jogging suit. If that's what ya want. One holster fitting any clothing you can imagine.

I know of one Doctor that uses one for a PPK with his scrubs. (when not in surgery, of course)

I noticed a comment about a Talon slipping off a double belt. If you go to Gun Spot.com and ask Lou how to wear that holster..he will tell you to place the clip between the pants and the belt. Not on the belt.

The Talon clip is guarenteed for life. If itever breaks...Lou will replace it free of charge. Try that with Galco.

The Newest Milt Sparks holster comes with an Alessi Talon clips...the only other holster maker in the world to be able to used his patented design.

Contact Lou at [email protected] and ask his opinion. You'll find him honest and will not bad mouth another makers holsters.

Milt Sparks also makes what Lou Alessi calls the best IWB holster he has ever seen or worn..it's the Versa-Max2. You can see this holster at www.miltsparks.com.

Leon.....

------------------
There are no dangerous weapons....only dangerous men. Robert Heinlein.

When the fear of failure to do one's duty for God and Country overcomes fear of dying, a true warrior is born.