The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 16, 2001, 06:32 PM   #1
Brock

I just purchased a Bushmaster XM15 E2s Shorty A3 with a 16 inch barrel. Is it worth crowning for accuracy if 95% of your shots are going to be between 50 and 250 yards?

I hear an 11 degree crown is supposed to be "the best" but I have no idea what it would cost to do this and if the improvement in accuracy at these short/medium ranges would be worth the investment.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Old April 16, 2001, 06:47 PM   #2
PJ11B3VF7

Nope, not worth it in my opinion unless you're doing strictly target shooting. On the other hand, crowning the barrel shouldn't cost more than $50.00.

Then again I'm not a benchrest shooter. As long as I can hit within 8" at 300 yds with iron sights I'm happy.

On a side note, my assigned weapon for the last 8 yrs has been either an M16A2 or an M4.
Old April 16, 2001, 07:19 PM   #3
jimc

what is it you want to acomplish with this rifle?
b/master already does a crowned barrel, unless it has a muzzle brake on it.
i like most shooters want as tight a group as possible. however as PJ11etc. already mentioned about being happy with 8" @300yds, keep in mind that the semi-auto versions of militery firearms (unless a match barrel etc) can do an average of 1-3" out of box (depending on shooter).
i want as tight a group as possible. but if all my rounds go into COM on paper then i know, and am confident of the acuracy of the rifle being used.
keep in mind that paper doesn't move or shoot back, so trying to do MOA if the need arose is an exercise in futility (IMHO)
Old April 16, 2001, 08:34 PM   #4
HankL

Bushmaster XM15 E2s Shorty A3 with a 16 inch barrel ?
Brock, there is no need to worry here. If you would like to hang a 20" on that give me an email. The chore is worth doing
Old April 17, 2001, 10:22 AM   #5
Brock

Thanks for the insight.

Truthfully I have not had the chance to put the new Bushy through it's paces yet to see how it groups so I don't even know if it really needs to be crowned at all. But, as a new toy, I'm interested in seeing what I can do to improve it's accuracy if the cost is reasonable.

I'm not a bench shooter so extremely tight groups are not necessary, but would be nice to have. It's mostly going to be used for plinking and giving coyotes and "water turkeys" a bad day so as long as I can hit within 2 - 3 inches of aim at 100 yards I would be fairly satisfied. It may do that now, or better, I just haven't had the opportunity yet to find out.

B.
Old April 18, 2001, 04:18 PM   #6
johnwill

If this is a new gun, the crown should already be decent, I have to wonder if your "accuracy improvement" money couldn't be better spent on some other part of the gun.