The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 22, 1999, 10:40 PM   #1
walkin' man

Hi Harley,

Great work you do here. Thanks. I have a question for you, or whoever chooses to answer. I recently acquired an old colt and know nothing about it.

It is a very small .25 auto, SA only with walnut grips. On the left side: The horse and "COLT'S PT.F A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.". On the right side: The horse and "COLT AUTOMATIC CALIBER .25".

S/N OD 460xx (why do people put X's?)

The barrel is a twist out, and it uses a 7 rd magazine. The safety is on the left side and also acts as the slide catch. The mag release is on the left side grip and there is one screw each to fasten grips.

I've been told it's a "vest pocket" or a "pocket pal".

Any info would be appreciated. Especially date of manufacture, since I really like old stuff.
Thanks,
Dan

------------------
To be or not to be-that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them.
Old June 23, 1999, 06:26 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Walkin'man
I have sent, by email, a little history and a slide of what I can determine as to what may be your pistol. As Colt made several Pocket Models, this one seemed to fit the description. If you would like the disassem. slides for this pistol I can send them.

HJN
Old June 23, 1999, 09:53 AM   #3
walkin' man

Harley,
Yup, thats the one all right. Thanks. Any idea what it's called or how old it is?
Dan
Old June 23, 1999, 10:10 AM   #4
Paul B.

Walkin Man. The x's in the sn are for your protection. Say you wrote in about a Colt single action, SN.# 123456 with a detailed description of the gun.. I can say, " Hey! That was the gun I had stolen from me a few years ago." If you'd sent in 123xxx, then I could not do this. That also gives enough info to determine the year the gun was made.
I hope that answers your question.
Paul B.
Old June 23, 1999, 10:57 AM   #5
Daniel Watters

walkin' man: Your Colt left the factory sometime in 1972.
Old June 23, 1999, 12:31 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those pistols were made for Colt under a contract with Firearms International. The design is Astra, as are all the parts except the frame, which had to be made here.

Jim
Old June 23, 1999, 01:55 PM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Walkin,man:
There are several names attached to this piece, all are Colt Identfiable.

Colt Auto Pocket
Colt .25 Pocket Pistol
Colt Pocket Pistol
and
Colt .25 pocket.

There are also other Colt "Pocket" pistols in different calibers but the term "Pocket" is sinonimous with small pistols of that era

HJN