The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 25, 2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Mr Dish

Is it legal for me to shoot at home in Michigan.

I just recieved my handgun permit and purchased my first handgun as a Christmas present to myself (with just a little objection from my wife). I live in the woods with about 1 mile of empty wooded property behind me. I am looking for advice on what the law has to say about me doing alittle target practice at home. I will be looking for a legitamite target range after the holidays. I just can't help myself, I am chomping at the bit to try it out. I bought a Uberti Cattlemans Colt 45.
Old December 25, 2009, 10:11 AM   #2
dahermit

I have a "home" range here in Michigan. The legality of the issue depends upon if there is some local (township) law prohibiting it. I know of one township (Hamlin township in Mason County, MI) where there is an ordnance prohibiting "target practice". So, you would have to check with your township to find out.

Nevertheless, you would be liable of any damage done to property or persons(hunters, mushroom hunters, et. AL.) if you were to be found negligent in your target practice. Therefore, I have a dirt berm which I hired a contractor to push up with a dozer as a backstop.

In my case, my Amish Neighbors and the very few other neighbors I have are hunters and shooters (I hear shooting all the time), and are not likely to be concerned about shooting in the area. But, if you have a person who gets nervous over gun shots in your area, a back stop as evidence of responsibility is likely to be worth what you pay to have it constructed.

To address your question more precisely, a few shoots heard in a wooded area s is likely to be interpreted as someone hunting.
Old December 25, 2009, 10:36 AM   #3
Les Auten

The best place to ask questions about MI gun laws is Michigan Gun owners
http://www.migunowners.org/
Lots of good info and mostly good people.
Old December 27, 2009, 01:54 AM   #4
freakshow10mm

What I don't get is how a person in Wisconsin, a state where civilian concealed carry is banned, can offer a magazine about concealed carry.
Old December 27, 2009, 06:47 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

If your wife had a little objection to your getting a handgun, I suggest you not push the envelope too much by blasting away off the back porch for a little while.....go find a range and invite her along.
Old December 28, 2009, 08:34 AM   #6
blume357

Good point, but a wife objecting 'a little' is pretty much the norm, in my opinion

If your local township or what ever along with state law (I really can't imagine that) doesn't forbid it... then I'd set up a target or two and empty a box into them... the first time, I'd leave the wife inside... the 2nd time is her choice where to be... with you, inside or out with friends.
Old December 31, 2009, 09:49 PM   #7
langenc

Check w/ local township but dont be surprised if answer is NO!! Those govt types usually answer question w/ answer as to what they THINK the law should be-NOT what it is. The DNR hunting guide will tell you about shooytin within 450' of occupied bldg EXCEPT for target practice. Many people dont know about the target practice exception.
Get a big pile of dirt, check w/ and invite neighbors to join you and start shooting. Maks sure wife comes along.