The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 4, 2000, 01:48 AM   #1
taco

I got a Rossi 12G Stage Coach (18" barrel) with external hammer to keep as HD shotgun. This shotgun as 2 triggers so which am I suppose to pull first, front one or rear? What is the "proper" way. Both barrels have cylinder choke.
Old September 4, 2000, 03:28 AM   #2
house

How about both barrels =)
most people will shoot the front to back.
Old September 4, 2000, 05:00 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

On a 2 trigger shotgun, most folks go front to back, and the gun is choked appropriately.
However, some of the best shooters in the world are the live pigeon folks, with major cash awards to the winner. Many of those set up their shotguns to be shot back to front, the premise being the kick moves the shotgun back while the finger moves foreward, making it faster. Kinda splitting hairs, but they have to kill the bird within a set distance, so speed is paramount.
Old September 4, 2000, 01:26 PM   #4
awd

I generally go rear trigger first. My situation is a bit different, though. I often shoot a double rifle chambered in .416 Rigby. If I fire the right barrel first (the forward trigger) then my finger tends to hit the rear trigger when the rifle bounces out of recoil and discharges the other barrel. Having both sides go is a bit exciting (the last time my ear muffs almost came off my head) and I prefer to avoid it. Thus the 'nonstandard' rear-trigger first habit.