The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Ashbane

Powder Measure consistency problems, L-n-L powder dispensor

I'm new to reloading. I've been collecting the parts all year, starting with the Hornady Classic press kit back in February. I finally got everything I needed to reload 45 ACP and successfully loaded and fired a couple dozen starting loads, some 230gr Berry's RN's and also some 185gr Hornady XTP HP's that I got free for buying the kit. Now on these first few loads I painstakingly measured the powder (Longshot for the Berry's .452's and Titegroup for the Hornady .451's) for each case with the little twist-out powder measure that came with the kit. Every case was exact.

Now that I'm more confident and working up to the next load (up to 5.8gr of Titegroup for the 185gr XTP's from the 5.5gr start load) I'm trying to use the L-n-L powder measure and everything that the powder touches masses large amounts of powder stuck to it. The plastic tube, the inside of the dispenser, the tip it comes out of, the plastic funnel, everything. When I try to dump it back into the bottle it ends up everywhere on my desk as I try in vain to carefully get it back up and out of the tube.

The worst part, though, is I can't get reliable powder measurements for more than 3-4 shots at a time, and I am using the pistol sized rotor/meter I realized weeks ago I needed to buy separately. If I measure each shot and dump it back in the tube the shots will vary +- .3 grains, and with the 185gr XTP's that start at 5.5gr and max at 6.1 that's the difference between starting and redline loads on the chart when I'm shooting for 5.8gr. The 5.5gr starting loads did well but barely recoiled the slide on my FNX-45 so I'm shooting just a bit higher than starting loads for it.

I've researched this and tried everything I found. I washed all the parts of the dispenser in everything from One-Shot case lube to hot Dawn dish soap to brake cleaner. I've wiped everything with dryer sheets. I've even grounded the frame of the dispenser electrically, nothing has worked.

Please advise...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uuy22if2m...2017.10.25.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mp5p9ek2ld...2017.11.07.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/whv7pkzl42...2017.23.36.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2uk4w1lswj...2017.24.49.jpg
Old December 5, 2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

I see these posts about powder hoppers not dropping consistently from time to time. It always leaves me perplexed.

When I started loading in 1984, I bought an RCBS starter kit. In the kit was the powder hopper I am still using to this day. I load for pistol and use the small volume cylinder. In 29+ years, it has never given me any trouble and throws - at worst - +/- 0.1 grains. And will do so with as little as 2 grains of any powder I can think of.

Maybe I'm just lucky, as I have no other personal experience against which to compare.
Old December 5, 2013, 10:48 PM   #3
ranchito457

I also load with the L-n-l. I would take everything apart and spray it real good with hornady dry lube-then wipe it down.I use there dry lube for all my dies and reloaders.It looks like you have some kind of grease or oil in there!try that
Old December 5, 2013, 10:54 PM   #4
ranchito457

One more thing don't use the one shot case lube.use the one shot gun cleaner and dry lube.Totally different products..
Old December 5, 2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

I was having some trouble loading the pics before (this is a weak computer). I see them now. To me, that looks like a nasty case of static electricity. Giving all the surfaces a wipe down with used dryer sheets can often help.
Old December 6, 2013, 05:15 AM   #6
HiBC

I use a Hornady powder measure and I have been happy with it.

There is some to how you operate them.I use a steady,deliberate motion on the handle till it bumps the stop.I get a consistent "bump" at the end of the stroke.I hesitate there maybe a half second,or a second with a large rifle charge.Same going back to the other stop.Deliberate,with a bump at the end.

I do it the same way every time.

I do not recall if Hornady offers one,but maybe there is a higher volume metering thimble for rifle,and a lower volume one for handgun charges.If the measuring chamber is a smaller diameter it can be more precise.

I hope that helps
Old December 6, 2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Nathan

It needs cleaned.

I cleaned mine with brake cleaner, but 90+% IPA should work fine also.

Then wipe everything with a dryer sheet.

Then, I run powder graphite through as a lubricant. I lube the outside pieces the keep it rust free and smooth.
Old December 6, 2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Whisper 300

As previously noted, the same rhythm and bump or lack of a "thwak" during the cycle will greatly improve consistent volumes of powder being dumped.
Notice I said volume as these types of measures give consistent volumetric not weight results.

Some types of powders also are more conducive to consistent yields but most pistol powders are not stick type so this should not be an issue here.

Granted that 50 years of reloading may have allowed me to develop some good habits but if you are not running the handle the same each and every time when throwing powder I will just about guarantee differing volumes and thus different weights.

Also, consider a powder baffle in the hopper or try and keep the same amount of powder in it as the height of the powder column in the hopper WILL affect results--a baffle will fix much of that. One can either buy one or make one as there are resources here and at other forums outlining a simple baffle fix.

Good luck and stay safe.

Gary

edited for spelling yes I am old school and OCD
Old December 6, 2013, 06:38 AM   #9
LE-28

My reloading room has a lot of static in it that I've never got rid of. I make sure I wear cloths that don't add to the problem, like fleese overshirts and the like.

I have to spray "static guard" down into my hornady measure to get the static problem out of it. I also open the reloading room door to the garage and let humidity in there for an hour before I reload, I have no choice.

I tried grounding the press, I've tried static tinsil, I tried dryer sheets, they never worked for me. Static Guard spray for clothes is the only thing that has helped all three of my powder measures.

Don't hit it with a direct blast but let it drift down in there from a distance and make sure it is dry before putting your powder in there. It will still take about 20 cycles or more for me to get consistent charges but when it happens there are dead on.
Old December 6, 2013, 08:20 AM   #10
cryogenic419

Some things I would try

If you don't already have a baffle for you measure get one, it will help maintain even charges whether the hopper is full or damn near empty.

Give everything a good wipedown with 90+% rubbing alcohol. The inside part where the rotor slides into, get powdered graphite and dust liberally in there. Install the metering insert into the rotor and using a qtip and graphite, dust inside there and work it (metering insert) back and forth a few times, try to go through its entire range of movement at least once. Give the hopper tube both inside and out, the items showing in pics 25 and 49 and the powder baffle if you have one a wipedown with a dryer sheet. Go back over with a regular patch and wipe over the areas you just hit with a dryer sheet, it helps smooth out the residue left behind and leaves it feeling a little smoother. Assemble the measure. Dust the area above and below the metering dial where it meets the painted body of the measure with some more graphite and work that back and forth a few times. Fill the hopper up with powder and run that powder through the measure dropping charges. That should fix any static issues you have.
Old December 6, 2013, 09:04 AM   #11
wild willy

Buy a can of spray graphite it works much better than powdered. Clean the metal parts with alchohol or brake cleaner.When dry give all the metal parts a coat of graphite when dry give it anther coat.The plastic hopper wash in water with a lot of dish detegent don't rinse let it dry.I've used the soap treatment about 35 years works better on plastic than anything else I've tried.The spray graphite been using for about ten I spray the scale pan,funnels,inside the powder thru expander dies any place the powder touches.I have RCBS,Hornady,Redding and 7 Lee measures and zero problems with powder sticking and with proper technique all my measures throw very good charges