The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Sid

Tightgroup for .38 special

I shoot .38 special with 148 grain lead wad cutters. The accurate, light recoil load I have been using for some time is 3.1 grains of 231. I have used up my supply of 231 and the only powder I was able to purchase lately was a 4 pound jug of Tightgroup. I would like to hear from guys who shoot .38 wadcutters about their experience with Tightgroup.

I also need to mention that I am a senior citizen and cannot deal with heavy recoil.
Old December 5, 2013, 03:46 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

Suggest checking available 'Cowboy' data for Titegroup / 38 Special.
Old December 5, 2013, 04:44 PM   #3
spacecoast

I've used 2.7, 3.0 and 3.3 grains of Titegroup under a 148 WC. All work well.
Old December 5, 2013, 05:39 PM   #4
zxcvbob

About 2.8 to 3 grains. Be extra careful because Titegroup is soot-colored and hard to see in the bottom of a .38 Special case -- a double charge will not look that much different than a normal charge.
Old December 6, 2013, 07:37 PM   #5
BigJimP

I use TiteGroup a lot....its a low volume powder - designed to be used in cases where you don't have much powder compared to the volume of the case and still get good ignition ..../ its a great powder --- and I find it very clean - although I shoot primarily jacketed bullets.

....so just be careful you don't double charge a case with it....but as long as you do that, there is nothing wrong with it.
Old December 6, 2013, 10:01 PM   #6
skizzums

i shoot 148gr swaged hollow base wads with 2,9gr of titegroup. i get leading with the titegroup that i dont get with the hp31 so i will avoid the swaged when using tg from now on, but its more accurate than the hp38 when shooting past 20yards. but overall i prefer the hp38/231 with 38spl. but i too have a pretty large stock of tg cause when i started its all i could find, so i try to use it as much as i can

there is definetly a greater recoil from the tg, but @ 2.9gr its not at all unmanageable. you shouldnt have a prob with that
Old December 6, 2013, 11:48 PM   #7
bluetopper

It'll work fine, just back off the charge from your 231 data a couple of tenths.

Have fun sir!