The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2009, 11:42 PM   #1
sonofagun

Barnes TSX load info

I recently picked up some 140gr Barnes TSX bullets I am reloading for my .270 Win. I heard that the powder charge is different for these bullets, but the load data I got from Barnes doesn't have my powder and I don't have a manual that covers these bullets. I have some IMR 4350 I planned on using, but the only information I could find was for H4350. These powders aren't interchangeable right? Has anyone had any experience with these bullets or powders?
I'm shooting a Remington 710.
Old August 6, 2009, 02:44 AM   #2
QBall45

Try giving Barnes a call. Would think they will be able to give you a good place to start.

I ran into the same issue loading 223 rem.
The other thing you could do is use losd data for your powder and same bullet weight.
Best thing is just call em at Barnes.
Old August 6, 2009, 07:07 AM   #3
SL1

Load data is NOT interchangeable for TSX bullets

Last night, for another thread on this forum, I did a QuickLOAD comparison between a Hornady cup-and-core bullet and a Barnes solid-copper bullet of the same weight using a similar powder in a similar cartridge ( a 7mm Mauser instead of a .270 Winchester). The result was an 8% increase in pressure for the TSX bullet with the same charge weight and COL.

Two factors came into it. One is the "start" pressure that is needed to force the bullet into the rifling. The higher the start pressure, the higher the peak pressure for a lot of complicated reasons that I won't elaborate on here. Just understand that the difference in peak pressures is greater than the difference in start pressures. The other factor is the length of the bullet. For the same COL, the solid copper bullet takes-up more room inside the case.

A third factor that QuickLOAD does not include is the shape of the bullet's nose and how that affects the distance to the rifling for the same COL. That can go either way, depending on the shape of the other bullet.

So, asking Barnes for data is a good idea.

SL1
Old August 6, 2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Buck88

Best thing to do would be to call Barnes and get the word straight from them. But...

*this is straight from the Barnes Loading Manual #4.

140gr TSX BT
IMR 4350
Min. - 51.0gr (2833fps)
Max.- 54.5gr (3028fps)
Old August 7, 2009, 01:53 PM   #5
sonofagun

I had emailed Barnes about this and all I got was a copy of the same data sheet I already had. Perhaps I will try calling them.
Thanks for all the info!