The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old July 31, 2009, 06:46 PM   #26
Sport45

Quote:
These will be for my raging bull 44 mag, and I would really like to see several feet of fire during the day.
Blue Dot can be flashy. Start at the "start" load and work your way up without exceeding listed maximum loads. Use a light-for-caliber bullet like the 180gr you mentioned.
Old July 31, 2009, 08:36 PM   #27
bluetopper

I'm beginning to be a big fan of AA4100.....
Old August 1, 2009, 07:42 PM   #28
AlaskaMike

Quote:
It is dangerous to recommend that novice reloaders stray at all from the published data available to them until their intuition can be guided at least somewhat by experience with these powders.
Absolutely--I apologize if I gave the impression that I was recommending that he deviate from his book load.

Mike
Old August 1, 2009, 09:42 PM   #29
Hydraulicman

get a real magnum gun.

454 casull
Old August 1, 2009, 10:52 PM   #30
ophidia

In a .454 Super Redhawk Alaskan stubby, too. Now THAT'S a fireball!
Old August 2, 2009, 02:40 AM   #31
Shoney

I've been gone several days and feel bad that I'm getting in late on this thread.

Ub3rn00ber
After you develope your desired load, if you survive, you will have to modify your revolver. You must grind down the the barrel so it is tapered toward the end, and that means removing the sight. Then grind the hammer off so that area is smooth.

With the revolver suitably placed, the sight will not rip and tear your hemrhoids on the way in, and the hammer won't snag and contuse them as the doctor removes the 44.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 2, 2009, 12:23 PM   #32
Ub3rn00ber

Is the 454 or the 500 more fun? I'm thinking about getting one soon.
Old August 2, 2009, 12:29 PM   #33
tmd11111

Quote:
Is the 454 or the 500 more fun?

Is the sky blue?
Old August 2, 2009, 01:01 PM   #34
SL1

Quote:
Is the sky blue?
Well, it isn't here right now; it's gray and has water drops blowing around in it.

More importantly, what do you consider "fun"? And, how much recoil do you want to take to make your neigbors flinch?

You could do a survey among the critters hit with both cartridges and ask them which they thought was the most fun, but I don't think any of them are talking, now. And, they probably couldn't tell the difference, anyway.

SL1
Old August 2, 2009, 01:08 PM   #35
zxcvbob

Quote:
I want a flaming hot super heavy load.
Not sure why everybody is busting your chops. You can do what you want and still be safe about it -- even with a Taurus. You want to use either a very slow pistol powder like H110 or 296, or a *very* fast rifle powder like IMR 4227, and published load data of course. (or you could use a case full of blackpowder or 777, slightly compressed) Use a light bullet to maximize the fire and muzzle blast.

If you use H110 or 296 with light bullets, you *really* need to use magnum primers to stay safe. WLP's might be hot enough, but I would use one that said "magnum" on the box, like CCI 350 or Federal 155's.

If you're just starting out reloading, you'll probably be happier with 2400 powder. It's not quite as powerful as H110 and 296, but it's close. And it's a lot less temperamental. And you'll use a little less.

Don't totally dismiss the blackpowder.
Old August 2, 2009, 01:23 PM   #36
SL1

People are probably "bustiing his chops"

because he introduced the subject in way that seemed to say that he wanted to use those loads just to irritate (or maybe impress?) other folks at the range.

Frankly, when somebody else is shooting extra-loud handloads near me, I tend to ask him what his load is and move away if it seems like he is pushing max too hard. Noise is one thing, and flying gun fragments is quite another. When I am shooting unusually loud loads, I usually warn adjacent shooters and volunteer my load info (with respect to published maximums) so that they can decide what they want to do about it BEFORE they jump out of their skins.

SL1
Old August 2, 2009, 01:54 PM   #37
zxcvbob

Quote:
I'll start a few grains shy of the max.
Not if you're using 296 or H-110 powder, you don't. Those two powders get loaded right at the published maximums. They get squirrelly if you download them much at all.

BTW, when I want to make a lot of fire and thunder, I use either a .30 Carbine pistol (Ruger Blackhawk), or a .45 Colt loaded with blackpowder. When I want to impress people, I clear all six falling-plates with 6 shots (especially with one of the 2 previously mentioned guns)
Old August 2, 2009, 03:57 PM   #38
amamnn

You're already 4 or 5 generations of handgun behind the most impressive shockwave, so why not go to the Hodgon site and pick a load that will make those much more impressive neat little groups someone mentioned? The guy 5 benches down already knows you're an idiot; now you have to prove him wrong--if you can..................
Old August 2, 2009, 09:55 PM   #39
Shoney

If you absolutely positively just have to impress the guys with romp and stomp, and flash up the WAZOO, try one of these
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...num=1&ct=image
Third immage down.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 2, 2009, 10:38 PM   #40
Doodlebugger45

You can load what you want to no big deal. But nobody is going to be impressed by a 44 mag going off anymore. It's not 1965 anymore. The 44 mag is just kind of ho-hum by shooters' standards nowdays as far as sound and flash go. Not that I'm putting it down, it's a great cartridge. But most folks at the shooting ranges have seen and heard the .460 and .500. Yeah they are impressive. Even more impressive than a 454 Casull. Even my .480 Ruger makes a bigger boom than a .44.

Actually, if you want to raise a few eyebrows with a flash and a bang, you might want to see what a .30 Carbine does in a handgun. It is way louder than any .44 mag and it will shoot a fireball that looks like a sci-fi movie. No, it's not for hunting rhinos, but it sure is an eye opener to shoot from a Blackhawk.
Old August 3, 2009, 07:53 AM   #41
GeauxTide

Go All The Way

Get a 475 or 500 Linebaugh.
Old August 3, 2009, 10:18 AM   #42
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But most folks at the shooting ranges have seen and heard the .460 and .500.
The first time I shot my 357sig at an indoor range a bunch of guys came over to see what all the BANG was about. So, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that no one will notice a 44mag that's specifically built for flash and bang.
Old August 3, 2009, 10:33 AM   #43
publius

Start w/a Ruger and get a loading manual.
Old August 3, 2009, 12:51 PM   #44
Dannyl

I would really think about it again if I were you

Hi,
You know, I used to skydive for many years, and in more than one way your question reminds me of the chaps that used to try and see how low they could do a hook-turn ( a manouver that puts you in a situation where your canopy flies vertically towards the ground)before levelling off to land.

Others were constantly trying to jump with canopies that were half the size they should be using (jumper weight to Square foot ratio)

Too many of them found out that they pushed it too far the hard way.
just counting people that I personally know (or knew), one lost a foot, one lost the leg up to the knee (damaged beyond saving), two died from broken necks, 3 survived with several broken bones. I guarantee you that none of the survivors thinks it was worth it.

The only person I know who has blown a gun did it by accidentally putting a double charge in a 045 ACP (Colt 1911), he was lucky to escape with minor injuries.

Bottom line, safety limits are there for a reason.

If you want to see a great flash, try shooting in dim light (dark, dusk or early dawn) with loads within the published limits.

Whatever you do, think very carefully before opting for a "very hot load".

Regards,
Danny
Old August 3, 2009, 01:56 PM   #45
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Bottom line, safety limits are there for a reason.

If you want to see a great flash, try shooting in dim light (dark, dusk or early dawn) with loads within the published limits.

Whatever you do, think very carefully before opting for a "very hot load".
A lot of people, including novice reloaders like myself, have been trying to point out that you can make a large flash and shock-wave without exceeding load limits.

I don't quite understand why anyone would think this poor guy is a reckless or idiotic just because he wants to make a flashy, "boomy" load. He is, after all, asking about how to do it, which shows some restraint and intelligence.
Old August 3, 2009, 04:42 PM   #46
AlaskaMike

Quote:
Start w/a Ruger and get a loading manual.
I think most of you guys quit reading this thread after you scanned the original post. If you'd read further you'd know the following:

1. He has a manual and is following book loads
2. In following book loads, it's obvious he's not wanting to exceed max SAAMI pressure

So maybe he phrased his questions a little poorly in his initial post--what that calls for is a request for a little clarification (which a couple of us asked him for, and which he provided, in between all the drive-by ridicule posts). What it DOESN'T call for is a bunch of "yer an idiot and yer gonna blow yerself up" garbage.

Mike
Old August 3, 2009, 05:22 PM   #47
zxcvbob

Quote:
Quote:
I couldn't understand what they were saying but every once in a while I recognized "Dirty Harry"

Rather like the scene in Rush Hour eh? "John Wayne"
Or in Foul Play, "Kojak! Bang, Bang!"
Old August 3, 2009, 08:54 PM   #48
Ub3rn00ber

Im going to the range tommorow, and after seeing that 10 shot group at 220 yards im going to try for 200. They wont let you do 100 with pistol, but they dont say not to at the 200! Although i dont want to get thrown out for having bullets going over the hill, so i found a ballstics caculator. I dont know if my 240 gr, 7 gr unique will even get close to the target. I also have some rem factory load 44 mag and rem factory load 44 spec HP, which would be the best choice to try to hit the target?

I used the data from my loads for the ballstics caculator, here it is if you want to know.
First from the coefficient caculator
cal: .44, weight 240, nose length .23, bullet length .72, nose dia .32, boattail length .5, boattail dia .41.
That data yeilded a coefficient of .199
Then i used the Hornady balistics caculator with this data
bullet weight 240, muzzle velocity 1200, ballistics coeffivient .199, sight height (use default, i dont know this one) .8, temp 95*, barometic pressure (default vaule) 29.53, zero 25 yards

If there is anything else you need to know let me know. Ok, anyway! Its saying im going to get -46.4 of drop, so im thinking about cutting a wood stake at that height from the center of my target so i dont have to mess with my scope (i dont even think i can adjust if that much). I figure that way i can judge where to aim better. Is that a decent way to attempt to make some 200 yard shots? Also i have a no zoom red dot sight on there, i have a 4x millet but i really dont like swaping the scopes. I know people hit 300 yard iron sight shots, so i guess a no zoom at 200 yards is doable? Can i get away with those light powder/heavy bullet loads i have for trying to get on the paper? If not i can hold off and just shoot my 30/06 out there, but i wanted to try the 44.
Old August 3, 2009, 09:05 PM   #49
zxcvbob

You're trying too many things at one time. You will never figure out what works and what doesn't with that many variables. (I get myself in trouble sometimes changing just 2 things at once.)
Old August 4, 2009, 12:16 AM   #50
Dannyl

Mike, he is asking for a "Flaming Super hot load"

Quote:
I don't want a hot load, I want a flaming hot super heavy load. What bullets/powder will give me something that will make the guy 5 booths down from me feel the shock wave. These will be for my raging bull 44 mag, and I would really like to see several feet of fire during the day. I'm looking at 180g jhp with 30gr of h110 but I have a feeling it won't be powerfull enough for what I want. Any other ideas?
Sorry Mike, I have to disagree here. To me this sounds to me like " I have the manuals, but for a huge flame and aloud boom I am willing to try any suggestions"

This is a recipe for trouble, and at the end of the day, our comments will never dent anything other than his ego. on the other hand a load that is even a tad heavier than what his handgun can withstand will damage his Ego, and possibly a whole lot of more vital parts.

I don't believe that any of us have said anything here with the intention of offending anyone, but rather that most of us have tried to disuade him from doing something that can hurt him, each with our own choice of words and examples.

UB3, Please think about what we are saying to you.

BRGDS,

Danny

Last edited by Dannyl; August 4, 2009 at 06:32 AM.
Closed Thread