The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2009, 01:45 PM   #1
daleo8803

magnum primers

ok my local stores do not have normal small pistol primers at all. and they have no idea when they will get some. but they have a few thousand magnum small pistol prmiers in. in the books i have read they say that you can use magnum primers in place of normal primer, just use a smaller powder charge. these will be used in a 38 special with a 125grain cast lead bullet using bullseye powder. from what i have read i should start with a load of about 3 grains and work my way up from there. im sorry to bring this up again, but i wanted other peoples opioion before i buy the primers. primers are the only thing that i have a hard time finding localy( at the monment....) thanks

dale
Old August 3, 2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Shoney

Dale

WELCOME TO TFL!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes! That 3.0 gr Bullseye load will start you at a safe load.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 3, 2009, 10:03 PM   #3
Ruger4570

Magnum primers are mostly meant to light up Ball Powders or other hard to ignite powders. In loads with substancially less powder, Magnum primers will work fine. You current load of 3 gr. will be fine with a magnum primer. I would also caution, not to go too heavy with that powder, it is always best to follow reliable loads from powder makers or reloading books.
Old August 4, 2009, 07:19 AM   #4
daleo8803

thanks! i dont plan on going very high. i just want the bullet to go down range to were i aimed. if the 3 grain with a magnum primer works well then i will stick with that till i can find some normal primers.

dale