The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 30, 2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Sid

Cleaning the Magazine of a 1903 Colt

I have a type 1 model of this pistol in .32 ACP which I shoot regularly. Over the last 15 years I have shot more than 10,000 rounds through it without any problems. About half of these were hand loads. But the magazine has never been cleaned and it must be filled with crud.

I cannot disassemble it because the base plate is welded in place. Is there some way for me to clean this? I need some advice on this and would especially like to hear from guys who own this pistol. TIA
Old March 30, 2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Chris_B

I've been dreading this myself, actually, for my 1920 manufactured 1903. I've thought of compressed air
Old March 30, 2014, 07:37 PM   #3
Brian48

Are there witness holes in the mag? If so, you can disassemble the mag the same way you disassemble a standard 7rd 1911 mag with the welded base.

Load the mag to 2/3 capacity until you have only have one or two holes still unoccupied. Insert a dowl, small screw driver, allen wrench, etc. through the witness hole to prevent the spring from moving. Unload the mag and tap mag while holding it upside down. The follower should drop out, but you might need a small screwdriver to nudge it a bit. Once the follower is out, carefully pull out the dowl from the witness hole, making sure the spring doesn't shoot across the room (or in your face). You should be able to clean out the mag now.

Re-assembly should be straight forward and much easier.
Old March 30, 2014, 08:08 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is even simpler to use a pencil with an eraser. Use the eraser end to push the follower down until it (the follower) reaches the second witness hole. Insert a pointed tool (like a nail) between the follower and the spring.

Then remove the pencil, turn the magazine upside down and tap it on a firm surface until the follower falls free. Use the pencil again to hold the spring so it doesn't release too fast and damage the feed lips, and remove the tool.

With spring and follower out, the magazine can be cleaned.

Then install the spring (be careful to put it in the way it came out), and press it down with the pencil, insert the pointed tool, remove the pencil and drop the follower into the magazine. Restrain the follower with the pencil, and release the tool.

The same procedure can be followed for 1911 magazines, or any magazine that doesn't come apart and has witness holes.

Jim
Old March 30, 2014, 08:18 PM   #5
PetahW

+2 - Brian & Jim are correct.

The magazine floorplate wasn't welded with the magazine spring (and, ergo, the follower) inside, lest the heat effect the spring's tension.

After the floorplate was welded, the spring was inserted into the magazine body, and then the follower inserted with a special twisting motion (or tool) to assemble the magazine - or (in some cases) the spring held depressed until the follower could be inserted.

What goes up, must come down; when went in, will come out.

That said, I find it more expedient to simple give magazine a swim-'n-swish in a pail of clean kerosene (available @ Hess gas stations) - which will quickly dissolve any fouling, lube or other crud, leaving behind a nice thin oily sheen, inside, on those hard-to-reach areas.