The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2006, 11:27 PM   #1
mohutley

Harrington and Richardson slug gun

I've never even fired a slug gun, but I saw the Harrington and Richardson Ultra Slug 12 ga. with a very heavy, rifled barrel (24") w/ 3" chamber, single shot. I don't think I'll be able to resist. It looked real purdy.

I was hoping to get some comments on experiences with H&R or New England Firearms in particular, but mainly on people's experience in shooting slugs, sabot or no, rifled bore or no.

The combination of accuracy and big bang for the buck (literally) is very tempting.
Old January 6, 2006, 12:36 AM   #2
D-Weezy

I have that shotgun in 12 gauge and my wife has it in 20 gauge. They are very accurate. Fully rifled barrels. You have to make sure that you have a strong scope, because these shotguns will destroy scopes due to the fact that the scope is sitting practically on top of the shotgun shell. We use Lightfield slugs. Very accurate. You should always try several different brands of shells though. You can hardly beat the accuracy. When people don't like these shotguns, it is usually because of the weight or the fact that it only carries one round of ammo. If you are a good shot, that is all you need anyway, plus it is not hard to load a second round rather quickly if you keep them handy. A good way is with an elastic shell holder on your butt stock.

Last edited by D-Weezy; January 6, 2006 at 01:16 AM.
Old January 6, 2006, 12:37 AM   #3
D-Weezy

I have that shotgun in 12 gauge and my wife has it in 20 gauge. They are very accurate. Fully rifled barrels. You have to make sure that you have a strong scope, because these shotguns will destroy scopes due to the fact that the scope is sitting practically on top of the shotgun shell. We use Lightfield slugs. Very accurate. You should always try several different brands of shells though. You can hardly beat the accuracy. When people don't like these shotguns, it is usually because of the weight or the fact that it only carries one round of ammo. If you are a good shot, that is all you need anyway, plus it is not hard to load a second round rather quickly if you keep them handy. A good way is with an elastic shell holder on your butt stock.
Old January 6, 2006, 12:48 AM   #4
D-Weezy

I have one in 12 gauge and my wife has one in 20 gauge. Very accurate! Very heavy! We use Lightfield slugs. Very accurate! You can't beat the price. Keep spare shells in a butt stock shell holder for quick follow-ups. Did I mention that they are Very accurate.
Old January 6, 2006, 01:18 AM   #5
D-Weezy

Old January 6, 2006, 01:30 AM   #6
D-Weezy

I tried but can't delete my extra frigin replys.
Old January 6, 2006, 09:09 PM   #7
mohutley

Thanks for the reply(ies) D-W.
What do you think of the kick? I'm thinking the heavy weight will help. Also, I think I saw in some older gun catalog that the older models, maybe, had some holes drilled in the barrel as compensators. Have you seen any like that?
Old January 6, 2006, 09:15 PM   #8
mohutley

D-W, is there a particular scope you've used on your 12 gauge and been satisfied with? Thanks.
Old January 7, 2006, 12:26 PM   #9
D-Weezy

I use Bushnell Sportview scopes on my slug guns 4x32 fixed power $39.99, and that is what my wife has on her heavy barreled 20 gauge. I know that some people might not like them. I was very sceptical about using this scope on my 12 gauge H&R due to the low price and the claim that it would blow up some scopes. I have had it for probably 6 years and have not had a problem yet. I am not the type to baby my slug guns. I will plow right through the brush with them. If it takes a dump some day, I will probably change to a Cabela's Alaskan Guide shotgun scope 2-7x32 $199.99 or a Leupold VX-1 in 2-7 or 3-9 $179.99 - $199.99. Any good fixed power in 2x-4x works great. I have never seen a ported model, but that doesn't mean that they don't make them. The recoil is not bad due to the weight of the shotgun. My wife shoots one hole groups at 50 yds with her 20 gauge and my 12 gauge will do the same.You can expect to shoot 1"-2" groups at 100 yds. If you are worried about recoil go with the 20 gauge. I like the extra power of the 12 gauge though. Like I said before, you can't beat the accuracy. Try the Lightfield slugs, they work great for us.
Old January 7, 2006, 01:22 PM   #10
mohutley

Good info. Thanks. I expect I'll be getting the 12 ga. sometime "soon".
Old January 8, 2006, 09:17 AM   #11
Ruger4570

I don't have this model, but a buddy has one without a scope. He shoots the Hornady and Winchester sabots. They shoot very well, but it knocks the "snot outa ya" after a few shots.
I, along with several shooting buddies have a Bushnell 1.5X to 5X scopes mounted on our slug guns. I know many feel they are junk, but I personally haven't met anyone that has anything bad to say about them. I think Bushnell does make a better low end scope than many and yes it isn't a Luepold, Burris etc. But for the money spent, they seem like a better than decent quality and trouble free.
I tend to disagree with using a 3X to 9X on a slug gun as it is just way more power than anyone needs for slug shooting and at the higher powers the eye relief gets "pretty" close to giving you a need to go and have your eyebrown stiched closed. Good luck on you purchase.
Old February 7, 2006, 10:20 PM   #12
archerytech1

Ultra Slug

I Have 5 12 ga. Slug guns and most are very nice. I love my 870 Wingmaster magnum with the 20 inch Hasting Paradox riffled barell but i must say. I bought the Ultra slug 20 ga. model just because i didnt have a 20 ga. in my collection. Well I must say, it is now my favorite!!!! I am shooting Lightfield 7/8 ounce slugs anywhere from 50 to 160 yards with awsome accuracy. Let me tell you, yes they may be heavy but the weight is perfectly ballanced right where it should be(evenly on both arms). I never dreamed a 20 ga. would shoot so flat and accurate. These guns are hard to beat. I have a buddy who has the Ultra 12 ga. and the 2 3/4" slug is more accurate than any 3" he can find. 12 or 20????? You will probably absolutly love either one of them...I am somewhat of a power freak too, this is why i still cant believe how much i like the 20 ga. Its a mans gun no matter what anyone may say!!
Old April 6, 2006, 05:54 PM   #13
mohutley

got it!

I've just purchased that H&R 24" 12 gauge slug gun! Can anyone tell me what I can or can't shoot in it. I bought it to shoot saboted slugs, but is that all I can shoot, practically speaking?

I've seen several suggestions to make sure and try several types of sabot (such as Lightfields) to make sure I find one that's a good match for my gun.
I also got a used Bushnell sportview 4X off of Ebay, still need the rings.
Old April 7, 2006, 05:18 PM   #14
Ruger4570

with a rifled barrel you are pretty much limited to sabot type shells. You can safely shoot the older Foster lead slugs, but they tend to lead up the bore real fast. At least in my Ithaca Deerslayer ll and the Rem 870 I use. Shooting "shot" or buckshot is a waste of time as the rifling throws a real wide almost useless pattern. I have had real good luck with the Hornady and Rem Copper Solids in both my guns. The Lightfield seem to woor well too.
Old April 7, 2006, 07:12 PM   #15
mohutley

Yeah - The guy at the gun store said the same thing about it being pretty useless for normal buckshot, etc., but I wasn't really sure about that. And since I was pronouncing it sa-bow and he was pronouncing it sab-it I figured any discussion on my part would mark me as a snotty know-it-all no matter what I said. Thanks for the info.
Old April 8, 2006, 09:51 PM   #16
fatboy02

20 ga

My gilrlfriend has the 20 gauge H&R single shot ultra slug gun and it is very accurate. Not sure which scope she has but it does seem to kick hard even for a 20 gauge. I enjoy shooting it.
Old April 12, 2006, 04:42 PM   #17
perrytrails

If your thinking the NEF single shot slug gun, go with the ultra heavy 20ga. The barrel is bored from a 12ga barrel, and it has some weight for sure. But for recoil, weight is your friend. We sighted ours in with lightfields and its a tack driver out to 150 yds. We set up bowling pins and wacked'em down every shot at 150 from a sand bag. We went with a muller 3X9X40, it also has a small lighted red dot in the center of the crosshairs. Excellent for low light shooting. My son and wife both shot big does with it this year, niether went over 20yds. This gun is #1 in my book for long range slug shooting. The price won't kill ya either.