The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Glock231990

New Glock 23 Gen 4 misfeeding self defense rounds?

So I recently bought my first gun manly for home defense and eventually CC as well of for recreation. Its a Glock 23 Gen 4 with 3 new factory mags. I took it shooting twice. The first time I put 100 rounds of Winchester white box 165gr FMJ and 7 rounds each of Speer Gold Dot 165gr, 180gr, and Hornady Critical defense 165gr(to save 13 rounds in the box for my mags), and just a few rounds of Federal HST 180gr. It went off without a hitch, no misfeeds, no misfires, it worked flawlessly.

The second time I fired a 50 round box of the same Winchester white box 165gr, again no problem. However when I proceeded to fire a mag of Federal HST JHP 180gr after 3 or 4 rounds, it had a failure to feed(round did not enter the chamber) and I had to rack the slide to get the round off. It did this 4-5 rounds in a row before it fed right. The same thing happened when I used speer gold dots and the older federal hydra-shok ammo. One time with the GD ammo I had to release the mag to allow the round to fall through the magazine port and then put the round back in the mag and then fire it off.

The FTFeed's happened randomly about 25% of the time with one of the mags and then happen only once or twice with others. I called a local gun shop where I live in Milwaukie, Oregon since its Saturday and Glock isn't open yet its Monday-Friday, And they said it could be from limpwirsting(Which yes I know is a poor excuse for a gun that's supposed to be reliable) and I didn't think I was, and that the dual recoil spring on the Gen 4 Glocks need to be broken in a bit by locking the slide back for about 2 weeks to loosen it up. Even though I know Glock has fixed the recoil spring issue and Glocks shouldn't need to be "broken in".

So I'm wondering what you're guy's input would be. Is this a mag issue? Recoil spring? I know its not the ammo, because Glocks are supposed to fire hollow points, especially high end stuff like Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot's. Could it be a problem with the gun and I need to send it in to Glock? I know Glocks are supposed to be durable, reliable handguns so a misfeed issue has me very concerned since its what I use for home defense!

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old March 29, 2014, 10:57 PM   #2
Noreaster

I had the same problem with my new Gen 4 23. Combination of factors (wrist injury) but it was mainly my thumb contacting the slide release during firing. I tried the med and large backstrap and the problem stopped.
Old March 30, 2014, 11:17 AM   #3
ligonierbill

The recoil spring idea sounds bogus. Did you try all 3 mags? It could be a mag issue. Just because they're new doesn't mean there couldn't be a burr or something. I'm presuming you cleaned this gun before you took it out. The infamous "limp wristing" is a possibility, but it has never happened to me shooting all sorts of loads out of my 23, and I have small hands. My bet is on the mag.
Old March 30, 2014, 02:57 PM   #4
Glock231990

Yes I cleaned it before I toke it out. This might sound dumb but I'm new to handguns, but how do I check if there is a burr and how do I get rid of it if in fact that's what it is?
Old March 30, 2014, 03:52 PM   #5
Glock231990

I know it happened with at least two of the mags, I didn't think to mark them wishing I did though.
Old March 30, 2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Sharkbite

The possibility exists that under recoil your thumb is bumbing the slide stop lever and causing the slide to lock open. The only way to tell is next time it happens STOP and really look at the problem

Is the slide stop engaged... Is the round nosed into the feed ramp... Did the case rim not slide under the extractor?? There are lots of reasons for a FTF. Proper diagnoses is the only thing that will tell you what direction to take for a remedy.
Old March 30, 2014, 04:41 PM   #7
Glock231990

From what I can tell, the round is facing upwards too far and is not feeding into the chamber all the way if that makes sense. The slide is back but just because the round prevents it from moving forward, I don't think its the slide stop lever.
Old March 30, 2014, 05:03 PM   #8
colbad

It sounds like "limp writs" (In a gun shooting way and not sexual preference). Also check and see if the problem comes from same magazine.
Old March 30, 2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Sharkbite

Hmmm

So the tip of the round is against the barrel hood? Thats a sign of loose magazine lips (too far apart)

As the slide goes forward the round is released too soon and pops upward instead of being pushed forward into the chamber

See if you can chamber a round by hand and get it to function. This eliminates the "limp wrist" mentioned above
Old March 30, 2014, 05:59 PM   #10
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
From what I can tell, the round is facing upwards too far and is not feeding into the chamber all the way if that makes sense. The slide is back but just because the round prevents it from moving forward, I don't think its the slide stop lever.
Sounds to me like two problems going on if I am getting you correctly. Magazines really hard to seat when slide is closed? Hard to load the magazines because of tight springs? If so try this:

Load one or two less rounds in new Glock Mags until the springs loosen up. That seems to be one problem while not seating the mag seems to be the second problem as a result of the first( happened to me). When you load the new mags full they need a good smack to seat them, 1 or 2 less and they seat much easier.

Try that with ball ammo only for the first test next time you go out. If there is a failure in a mag set it aside. If all goes well try a few HP's in each mag and load the magazine the same as before only fill it with ball ammo first to save HP's with a couple of HP on top and the rest ball. Remember not to load mag to capacity but leave one or two. If it feeds well good. If not note if it was one or all magazines and repeat the ones that passed to be sure. One Mag fails, it's the mag if more than one fail, something else and return it on their dime.
Old March 30, 2014, 09:37 PM   #11
Glock231990

I have no problem loading the magazines all the way, as I keep all 3 mags loaded with 13 rounds all the time as it's my bedside gun. So the mag springs are already broken in, so I'm puzzled as to what happen.
Old March 31, 2014, 07:10 AM   #12
Don P

My .02 worth is its ammo related. I don't care what gun you have, not all guns like all the ammo out there. Many hollow points cause problems with the best of guns.

I'll ask, you make note of "3 new factory mags", is the gun new or used?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 31, 2014, 08:32 AM   #13
5-SHOTS

Since all the problems started at the second range trip, IMHO it has something to do with lubrication. My advice is to disassembly the pistol and lube very well the frame and slide rails, the barrel in all the external surfaces and the internals of the slide as well. Put some drops of lubricant in the recoil assembly, locking block and internal parts of the trigger mechanism . I'd lube the magazines as well. Check the extractor tension: it could be stiff due to poor lubrication: lube it.
Old March 31, 2014, 02:55 PM   #14
Glock231990

Don P,

The gun is new as well. As for the ammo the Federal HST and Speer GD is what law enforcement uses as well as many civilians for defense/CC, a Glock should chew up any high grade factory ammo. Maybe I should just force feed the gun until it learns to like it.

I'm starting to suspect its a least one of the mags, maybe the recoil spring is faulty, or maybe it is me accidentally bumping the slide lock.

Next time I go shooting I'm defiantly going to try to see if its one or all of the mags and isolate them, I should have done that last time I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the mag now I'm kicking myself in the ass for it.
Old March 31, 2014, 04:05 PM   #15
Glock231990

I forgot to mention I can manually cycle the same rounds by hand and no jams.
Old April 1, 2014, 05:58 PM   #16
phillip69

clean it again

I recently had almost identical ftf issue as described, on my new glock 30S....

turned out to be 100% a cleaning issue!

my 21 can go 50 rounds per session, 1-2 sessions per week, for a month before needing cleaned - still no ftf's.

30s on otherhand can only stand 3-4 sessions then ftf is just as you say - nose start into barrel but rear of bullet still in mag. maybe every other bullet ftf!

You can check if bullets disagree with your gun by sticking them in barrel by hand when gun apart: if bullet fits with good slop around it (not at all tight), you don't have an ammo problem. Of course, stick bullet in feed end! other end is smaller than bullet so it compresses on way through and does not leak any explosive gases.

Bet you need a GOOD barrel cleaning; try 15 scrubs back & forth through barrel with solvent, then a few swipes through with cloth to clean out, then repeat 2 more times.

Bet your back to perfect once you do this.

Last edited by phillip69; April 2, 2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Remove short hand stuff that was frowned on.
Old April 2, 2014, 08:44 AM   #17
mes228

Glock & Cleaning

I've owned many Glock's and still own several. All have been Gen 3's except for one current Gen 4 Model 21 I own. I've never owned a Glock that would not run thousands of rounds without cleaning (or malfunctions for that matter). I don't think I would own any pistol that would not run several hundred rounds without cleaning. For as much as I shoot, all I would do is clean firearms. I have at least 5-6 pistols (from 1911's to Glock's and other makers) that have been fired hundreds of rounds each that have not been cleaned. Has anyone else had cleaning issues or failures, with any Model of Glock pistols? Personally, I would avoid any models that need cleaning or fail regularly. I have owned none of the smaller Glocks. All mine have been 17,19, 22,23,21 Models.

As an aside the Gen 4 pistols have been touted on line with having multiple problems. Perhaps I just got lucky, but not one word has been proven true of the Gen 4 Model 21 I purchased. It has been flawless in operation, has a better trigger than Gen 3's, and is astoundingly accurate. I mean target pistol, one hole, accurate. If there were problems with Gen 4's early on, I suspect they have been addressed. Based on my experience with this small sample of one Gen 4 Model 21. I'd buy another Gen 4 in a heart beat.
Old April 2, 2014, 09:07 AM   #18
g.willikers

If the gun runs with the other ammo you mentioned, why bother with ammo that doesn't?
Especially with all the choices out there.
Like Don P said, some ammo just isn't compatible with some guns.
Glocks do have a short feed ramp and can dislike some brands of hollow point ammunition.
It could be nothing more than the overall length of the cartridge is not right for good feeding.
Just cause, check that for the ammo that works as compared to the ammo that doesn't.
The next time you take it to the range, just use the ammo you know works.
If the problem doesn't show up again, then it will be obvious it's the ammo and not the gun.
And mags are always cause for suspicion.

Last edited by g.willikers; April 2, 2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old April 2, 2014, 02:52 PM   #19
pat701

Thats way guys shoot "hard ball" ammo.