The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 3, 2008, 08:43 AM   #1
300magman

Old 870 Wingmaster needs help

I have an old Remington 870 Wingmaster...beautiful little gun...probably 30+ years old now and still going strong. The thing is, its a 2 3/4 inch chamber and its got a fixed full choke...seems that it was originally designed as a lead shot waterfowl gun (and boy does it work with lead...useless with steal though) But that is beside the point, I use it exclusively for upland birds....but there is always some buckshot in my pocket for the occasional coyote.

What I would love to find out is if I can swap out the barrel for one that takes screw in chokes or even just a fixed choke that isn't so restrictive (full is a bit much for ruffled grouse) All the barrels I see on remingtons website list 3" chambers....but could I still fit one to my old wingmaster? And if I did, would it then be able to fire 3" shells? (It will actually hold and cycle a 3" shell now, I checked out of curiosity but I'd NEVER try firing it)
Old October 3, 2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Scattergun Bob

300magman

Your 870 should take a new 870 standard barrel just fine. Hold out for a Remchoke one. You will not be able to use 3" ammo even with a 3" chamber, once the shell fires, it will THEN be too long for the ejector to handle.

Many say that you can change the ejector with out damaging the finish on the receiver. I have never been successful at that.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old October 3, 2008, 12:37 PM   #3
BigJimP

Like Bob told you - there are some problems just putting a 3" barrel on the gun - and he's the 870 expert, so I'll defer to him.

I think you really have 2 choices - one is send the current barrel to Briley and have it threaded for chokes. It'll cost $ 250 - $350 with chokes. 2nd is keep the gun as it is / buy another shotgun with screw in chokes in it. The Remington Wingmaster and Browning BPS are both real strong pump guns - and street price is about $ 600 these days. The 870 Express is selling for under $ 300 in a lot of places these days - but its not a Wingmaster either. Its also an excuse to look at a semi-auto or something else ..... Benelli is making some nice guns and it would be something different - and I like the Super Sport in the Benelli lineup but they have a big variety of models.
Old October 3, 2008, 05:04 PM   #4
.300 Weatherby Mag

300magman,

I had a similar to gun to yours, same setup, full choke etc.... I bought a new 26" remington light contour barrel for it with the rem chokes... Now I had screw in chokes and I could shoot steel shot.... I just couldn't shoot 3" shells as mentioned above.... It was a drop in deal, no issues whatsoever.... I sold that gun to my brother and bought a new 870 Wingmaster 3" so I had a waterfowl gun.....
Old October 3, 2008, 06:04 PM   #5
dalecooper51

Another option would be to have your barrel cut for choke tubes. I have a 1972 wingmaster that had a 28" fixed full choke barrel. I sent it to Carlson's and had them install tubes. For $145 plus shipping, I had the work done and received 3 tubes. Trying to buy their extended chokes is roughly $30 each. I think it is a pretty good deal. Turn around time was quick and my gun throws nice patterns.

http://www.choketube.com/instal.html

Single Barrel Flush Mount Installation (12 and 20 GA)
Includes three flush mounted chokes and 2 wrenches $125.00

Single Barrel Extended Choke Installation (12 GA & 20 GA)
Includes three extended chokes and 2 wrenches $145.00

You could also just have your full choke opened up. It would be less than having tubes installed but also less versatile.
Old October 4, 2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's a 1955 WM here with 2 3/4" receiver that came with a 30" plain barrel and Full Choke. It now has a new 30" Light Contour barrel and Remchokes. Shoots great. Can't use 3" mags but I've other shotguns that can.

Old Wingmasters are treasures. Enjoy yours....
Old October 5, 2008, 01:47 PM   #7
birdshot

skeet barrel

i picked up a 16 gauge 870 which did not have a barrel and began a qwest for a replacement, this was before the internet. at a fancy gun shop in austin, found a 26 inch skeet tube. i have more confidence with this gun/barrel than any of my other shotguns. skeet patterns everything nicely.
Old October 5, 2008, 06:47 PM   #8
crowbeaner

Contact Steve Rose at Rose's Gunshop in KY. He'll install the choke tubes for $100 and return shipping. His ad is on gunbroker.com; nice work and FAST turnaround.