The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 17, 2010, 05:10 AM   #1
zeke

AR-15 sight recovery w/scope

Am thinking on new AR, and trying to choose between a RRA 20 in Varmint (bull barrel) or the RRA ATH (18 in heavy barrel) carbine. Am going to mount scope, not worried about open sights. Am interested in 100-300 yards targets and quick sight recovery and being able to see hits instantly through the scope. All while shooting off a bipod. I have never shot a heavy barreled AR, and don't know anyone with one i can try, but guess this is possible? Am not planning on trapezing through the woods all day with it.

How much do the cross hairs move on a 20 in bull barrel, when firing? Would a 18 inch heavy barrel with muzzle brake be as quick in sight recovery?

Has anyone had a chance to shoot the RRA ATH carbine yet?

Thanks, any answers , suggestions or direct experience be appreciated.
Old September 17, 2010, 05:46 AM   #2
Powderman

Well, you won't have too much movement--the .223/5.56 is just plain fun to shoot.

However, I would say that the very best means of totally immobilizing the rifle upon firing is to acquire and learn to use the leather sling PROPERLY.

I have fired all my military rifles--M1903 Mark 1, M1A NM and M1 Garand with the sling properly mounted and strapped in TIGHT. If done properly, the rifle does not move--not an inch!!
Old September 17, 2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Right, even with the 24" RRA varmit upper, the rifle moves about under firing. At 100 yards, if you blink, you will miss impact. The bullet will arrive on target before your blink is over.

Most of the recoil is rearward with the 24" version, though with a shorter version, I would bet some is translated into muzzle rise which off a bench will be stock dip as the rifle isn't coming off the bench/ground.

As noted by Powderman, without additional restraint, it is going to move. Whether or not you are going to lose the target during movement is going to depend on distance, blinking, FOV and scope magnification. Without mine secured and moderate magnification, I see the targets hit at 200 yards just fine. By 300 it is fun to really notice the difference between the visible and audible impacts.
Old September 17, 2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
How much do the cross hairs move on a 20 in bull barrel, when firing? Would a 18 inch heavy barrel with muzzle brake be as quick in sight recovery?
Instead of a heavy barrel, I'd look at a good muzzle brake. Some of the JP tank-style muzzle brakes can minimize recoil on a .223 to the point you barely notice the crosshairs move even at higher magnification. However, they will be blasty and noisy.
Old September 19, 2010, 05:48 PM   #5
zeke

The answers be appreciated, espesially about the sling.

thanks
Old September 19, 2010, 06:15 PM   #6
DnPRK

With an AR-15, its not the recoil that disturbs the sight picture, but the momentum of the bolt carrier slamming back and forth.
Old September 20, 2010, 08:54 PM   #7
arizona98tj

Quote:
The answers be appreciated, espesially about the sling.
What sling question?
Old September 22, 2010, 06:53 PM   #8
zeke

"However, I would say that the very best means of totally immobilizing the rifle upon firing is to acquire and learn to use the leather sling PROPERLY"

There wasn't a sling question, but a sling answer. Something i hadn't considered, but appreciated.