The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 11, 2008, 11:00 AM   #1
BLS700

Really weird range issue

Two days ago at the range I started seeing a small dent on the shoulder of my cases. This started after 22 shots (no dents). After I found the first one I thought it was a fluke and fired another same issue. Then I put a round in the chamber and ejected it without firing and there was a small indent. This was the first time I had done necksizing for this rifle so I thought that could somehow have something to do with it. To check I put one round from the end of the previous batch which was FL sized. It was dented after ejection. I took the rifle home cleaned the receiver with Rem Action Cleaner and ran a patch with Hoppes Benchrest through and something small hard and black came out. It may have been carbon. I ALWAYS thoroughly clean my rifles after shooting. How could there have been that much build that it would harden and dent a case? Have you ever seen this. I'm new to reloading but not to shooting and the guys I was shooting with were very experienced shooters who have reloaded for 30+ years each and they never saw anything like it. Any info to prevent this from happening again would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 11, 2008, 11:02 AM   #2
BLS700

+1

I was using Federal cases (fired twice) cci LR primers, 168 grain Sierra matchkings and 42.2 grains of Reloader 15 which is well below the listed 43.6 max load if that info helps any. The only load difference from the last time at the range is that I necksized these cases everything else was the same.
Old August 11, 2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Scorch

It may have been lodged in the bolt lug ways (locking area) and come loose when you fed a round. When you fired the rifle with the chunk of carbon lodged in the chamber, it stuck it to the chamber wall where it stayed until you removed it when cleaning. No harm, no foul (no pun intended). The small dent in the brass will come out, and I'm sure the chamber is fine. You may want to pay extra attention to cleaning out the bolt lug ways when cleaning the rifle.
Old August 11, 2008, 01:22 PM   #4
bcarver

chunck of carbon

It was probaly most definately maybe a chunck of something like carbon.
Anything in the chamber will cause these dents.
Being that the casing was only neck sized it was already nearly identical to the chamber. hence getting the dent when closing the bolt.
The same thing will happen when to much lube gets in a die when reloading.
Good news is you saw and noticed it which is extremely important in reloading. Not noticeing stuff will eventually cause damage.
Like not noticing signs of pressure in new loads.

Ps I like neck sizing. Brass last longer.
Old August 11, 2008, 02:08 PM   #5
Picher

It seems that you have your sizing die screwed in too far, otherwise the round might not have chambered. You should unscrew it and size your cases in the neck only, then, after a few firings, as they get too tight, turn the die in a bit, then by repeated trial and turning the die, find the spot where the shell fits the chamber perfectly and you can close the bolt easily. Lock the die at that spot and your ammo should fit perfectly.

Well fitting ammo not only shoots more accurately, cases last longer because they don't stretch as much on firing.

Picher

Last edited by Picher; August 12, 2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old August 11, 2008, 06:42 PM   #6
armedtotheteeth

Dont forget to trim the excess length off your cases after sizing . Dont use too much lube for resizing either.