The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 2, 2008, 11:42 PM   #1
Christopher W

Questions on CAS

I haven't posted in a while and pretty much got out of shooting for a while but got bit by the bug again. I have shot 1911 extensively in the past but kind of got bored after a while. Well, I have always wanted a Colt SAA and just last weekend bought a new Colt CAA in 45LC, 5 1/2 barrel, blue with case hardened frame and it is beautiful! The gun was a birthday present to myself.

Although I plan to shoot the gun somewhat regularly, I started getting bit by the CAS bug and thought that I don't want to put the Colt through that sort of abuse. So I have a few questions. First, what ammo is good/safe to shoot throught a new Colt SAA? Second, in CAS/SASS are all calibers in the same class, i.e. 38 spl competes with 45LC and if so wouldn't the lighter recoiling 38spl have an advantage over 45LC? I went back to the dealer today and looked at some other guns to consider for CAS/SAS and saw some nice USFA and Rugers and also some Barretta Schofields. Really liked how the Schofields fit my hand as I have fairly large hands and long fingers. Does anyone make a single action Schofield with a fixed rear sight so that it doesn't have to be shot in the modern class?

Lastly, I handled a Marlin 1894 CB that seemed pretty nice as well. Would this make a good rifle for CAS/SASS and/or what recommendations would you have. I know these are a lot of questions but this CAS is starting to bite pretty hard.

Thanks.
Old February 2, 2008, 11:53 PM   #2
Hawg

CAS ammo for pistols is 900 fps or under. 1400 fps or under for rifles. Classes are not defined by caliber. .45's compete with .38's, 32-20, etc. Some of them load so light the bullets barely make it to the target. Yes they make single action Schofields. Yes the 94 Marlin is a good gun for CAS. You need two pistols, a pistol caliber rifle and a shotgun, either a SXS, a Winchester 97 (but not the 93/97)or a Winchester 87