The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 15, 2013, 03:32 PM   #26
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
If your trigger finger is too short for the gun, there's an after market trigger, without the curve in it, that can help. It's more straight up and down.
Be careful about straight triggers. The only straight triggers I've seen (or used) have come from CZ and are designed for the SINGLE ACTION ONLY models. Those triggers won't allow the mechanism to reset properly when they're installed in a DA/SA model.

IF someone has found a straight trigger that shortens the pull in a DA/SA gun (but still allow it to function as a DA gun), it'd be a good thing. I'm skeptical, however.

The trigger from the PCR (and the P-01) has MORE CURVE, and actually shortens the reach a bit. CAJUN GUN WORKS (www.cajungunworks.com) offers a kit that will greatly improve the trigger and another that shortens the pull.

If I were new to CZs, however, I'd wait a while before doing any major modifications -- the hammer spring swaps are good, though.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; May 15, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old May 15, 2013, 03:52 PM   #27
manta49

Racking the slid on the CZ 75 is not a problem I have noticed. I never heard of it being a problem for some to until i saw it posted on some forums. My wife who is 5 foot nothing can rack the slide on my 75.
Quote:
Those triggers won't allow the mechanism to reset properly when they're installed in a DA/SA model.
I fitted a single action on my CZ 75 i use it for the range only and its a big improvement. You can set the travel and reset i have hundreds of rounds trough it no problems a DA/SA trigger with shorter travel can be bought.

Last edited by manta49; May 15, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old May 15, 2013, 03:58 PM   #28
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I fitted a single action on my CZ 75 i use it for the range only and its a big improvement. You can set the travel and reset i have hundreds of rounds trough it no problems.
I'm sure it shoots better, but does it work as a DOUBLE ACTION gun from hammer down? It should do fine as SA only.
Old May 15, 2013, 04:02 PM   #29
manta49

Quote:
I'm sure it shoots better, but does it work as a DOUBLE ACTION gun from hammer down? It should do fine as SA only.
SA only the same as the 1911 as i only use it at the range its not a issue.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:24 PM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

CZ 75 may be more gun than I bargained for

OP shouldn't tinker with it so much -.- especially attempt to fix what isn't broken. And in my eyes, actually breaking it from DA/SA to just SA.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:19 PM   #31
dakota.potts

Still can't do it reliably but the fact that I can operate it at all now gives me some hope. I have a nice blister welling up on my thumb from trying to work the slide release. Then I realized I can put my left thumb on top of my right one and push with the left one instead and that works much better.

Back to building up the strength.

I don't think I'll want to get messing about with my gun. I never was a person to modify. I've played guitar for 4 years and have a very nice bass (my primary) and in that world, too, are people who immediately swap out parts the second they get the instrument. I never did that either. Now, I do plan to eventually get into competition (IPSC or IDPA followed by 2 Gun or 3 Gun later) and looking at upgrading the single action trigger may be something I would do if that happened.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:22 PM   #32
MLeake

Depending on how you upgrade it, you could limit yourself.

With a stock-ish CZ75, you can shoot in IDPA Stock Service Pistol (SSP) in DA/SA mode, or Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) in SA/cocked&locked mode. If you modify to SA only, you can only shoot it in ESP.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:43 PM   #33
Venom1956

Quote:
Now, I do plan to eventually get into competition (IPSC or IDPA followed by 2 Gun or 3 Gun later) and looking at upgrading the single action trigger may be something I would do if that happened.
You can't. You can compete in SSP. But since you got a decocker CZ there isn't a way to convert that into a Single action only pistol.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 15, 2013, 11:54 PM   #34
dakota.potts

There was a piece of information that went way over my head somehow. If I got into any serious level I could get a 75 B to keep in the same platform or even something like a Czechmate. My point was that I wasn't planning on upgrading it for any time in the near future.

I'm getting much better at the slide pull now. I can do it fairly easily. I haven't figured out the pull length in muscle memory and a lot of pulls I don't go far enough and the snap caps get jammed. So I've learned how to clear a couple things of that nature. Darn snap caps are also flying around my room and getting lost. But I'm much more comfortable now and it looks like I'm going to be able to do this.

The Cornered Cat info page really helped with my technique. I'm doing an over hand grip in the "punch" motion Since there is so little to grab on to the slide, I started (pretty much by accident) using one the index finger of my weak hand to push against the sights. Is this bad practice?
Old May 16, 2013, 12:27 AM   #35
Venom1956

ha. I knew you had it in you! if my lady can rack it you can.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 16, 2013, 12:57 AM   #36
dakota.potts

Yep! I set up my snap caps (4 after the 5th disappeared somewhere) in my magazine and just practiced fire, clear, fire, clear until it was gone, and reloaded. Did that about 30 times and by the end I was even flinging a couple of the caps out a good couple inches. This was from the uncocked position as firing on a snap cap lowers the hammer. Feeling much better now! For the record, I am probably about your lady's size at 5'6" and 115 lbs soaking wet haha.
Old May 16, 2013, 01:32 AM   #37
JimmyR

Glad you're enjoying your CZ. Kinda thought you would.

FWIW, this is one reason why I like buying used guns- I let someone else do the work of getting them broken in for me.
Old May 16, 2013, 07:12 AM   #38
Tactical Jackalope

CZ 75 may be more gun than I bargained for

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
FWIW, this is one reason why I like buying used guns- I let someone else do the work of getting them broken in for me.
Now I like used guns too. Trust me. But sometimes people break them in a little too much and are looking to get rid of them. I like getting used guns for project guns. Like my SIG P220? I changed every single spring on that thing and now she runs top notch. My 1911 series 70....was a train wreck but that's getting sorted out now lol.

OP. I've lost a bunch of snap caps myself. Don't worry you'll find them eventually. It's the same feeling I've linked to finding money in my pockets that I didn't know I had.
Old May 16, 2013, 07:28 AM   #39
CurlyQ.Howard

"I started (pretty much by accident) using one the index finger of my weak hand to push against the sights. Is this bad practice?" If it works for you, it isn't a problem (I just tried it on mine, and it works for me too).
Old May 16, 2013, 08:57 AM   #40
Seaman

Ahoy Dakota,

Your picture does not show the left side of the gun, does your middle finger touch your lower thumb... the closer it is, the smaller the gap, the better the grasp (purchase). I'm guessing it does not, life should be easier with a single stack, ie a 1911 Spartan (with slim grip panels).

Don't feel too bad, I can't shoot CZs well at all, tried the standard pistol and a race gun version (vertical trigger, big magwell, custom sights, etc), shot near identical 2" groups with both at 7 yards, do the same with Berettas, Glocks, HKs, and with Rohrbaughs its more like 4" groups. Don't know why. Colts, Sigs and S&Ws shoot sub-1" groups for me. So I just sell/trade-in the guns that I can't shoot well.

Years ago you could shoot lots of ammo and take weeks figuring out what was wrong, today you can't find any ammo.

Even so... despite the difficulties you've encountered, you may find the CZ shoots great for you, and then it becomes a keeper, if not, there's always a handgun that is a natural shooter for you, (you just have to find it) ie the Sig P239 SRT, a single stack 9mm with 11 round capacity, a tack driver.

Best to you.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:41 AM   #41
MLeake

I somehow missed that he has a BD, instead of a B. Venom1956 is correct, that is SSP only.

dakota.potts, I thought you would like the punch technique.

FWIW, in one handed drills (simulating the other arm out of commission), the rear sights are often used to rack slides. This can be done by hooking them on a belt, boot heel, wall corner, etc - so your index finger should not hurt them any.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:26 AM   #42
CurlyQ.Howard

Dakota, For what it is worth: my wife's shooting hand measures 6.0 from the wrist to the tip of her trigger finger, and she has no trouble what-so-ever shooting a CZ75. So, if your hand/finger is this long or longer, you should not have any difficulty either.
Old May 16, 2013, 02:32 PM   #43
manta49

Quote:
OP shouldn't tinker with it so much -.- especially attempt to fix what isn't broken. And in my eyes, actually breaking it from DA/SA to just SA.
A hours work puts it back to DA/SA if wanted.
Old May 16, 2013, 02:42 PM   #44
Tactical Jackalope

I guess so...But I don't like messing with the original mechanism of a guns functionability, especially if it's purchased for the intended use of CCW. I know this is the OP's first handgun, which I think is more reason not to...But I guess you are right. If it can be returned to factory with just an hour..That's up to the OP if he wants to do so.

Also, Location: N Ireland. UK. random but I have a huge Celtic cross tattooed on my back.
Old May 16, 2013, 02:51 PM   #45
MLeake

manta49, he has a BD; it can't be converted to the SA safety.
Old May 16, 2013, 02:51 PM   #46
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
A hours work puts it back to DA/SA if wanted.
gotta be careful with that SA trigger. it doesn't fit all models. for instance, it will not fit the omega trigger models.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 16, 2013, 03:22 PM   #47
Venom1956

Quote:
I somehow missed that he has a BD, instead of a B.
I just remembered it from another thread with him mentioning he wanted a BD not a just the normal B.
Old May 16, 2013, 04:02 PM   #48
BillCnKC

CZ-75 Cocking Lever

dakota.potts--

When I put an optic on my CZ-75, access to the slide area for racking purposes became very problematic. I solved it with a racking lever. Perhaps this would work for you, but it pretty much eliminates using the firearm for anything other than plinking . . . which is all I do with it.

--Bill
Old May 16, 2013, 04:42 PM   #49
manta49

Quote:
I guess so...But I don't like messing with the original mechanism of a guns functionability, especially if it's purchased for the intended use of CCW. I know this is the OP's first handgun, which I think is more reason not to...But I guess you are right. If it can be returned to factory with just an hour..That's up to the OP if he wants to do so.
I agree if he has bought it for CCW leave it alone its a service pistol with a service trigger. Mine is for the range if I bought it for CCW I would have left it SA/DA.
Old May 16, 2013, 05:20 PM   #50
wingman

All I can add is I love my 75B would not trade or sell however it's so darn accurate it is sort of boring to shoot.