The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 20, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1
A pause for the COZ

Any one annealing 45acp brass?

Seems I am getting better at salvaging my 45acp brass. I am starting to see some blow by along the out side of the cases. I dont think they are expanding as they did before to seal the chamber.

Any one try annealing 45 brass? I have annealed rifle brass but never had to anneal pistol brass.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:46 AM   #2
Jammer Six

Splitting is different from "blowing out".

If yours are really blowing out, you have a serious headspace problem.

I don't anneal .45, it's too easy to come by. I just use them until they split or get lost. I have half a garbage can full of .45 brass that I haven't even cleaned, let alone sorted. I have about 5 gallons of sorted, clean brass that I'm working my way through.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:47 AM   #3
Sport45

Heck no! Even if you try, how would keep the annealing from getting too close to the base of such a short case?

A little soot on the side of pistol brass doesn't hurt anything IMHO.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:56 AM   #4
A pause for the COZ

Thanks guys. I did not really feel like annealing 45's any way. It is not a head space issue though. I get it in all my 45's carbine and pistol.

Dont see it with once fired brass. Just the 15th fired stuff
Old December 20, 2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Gerry

If you're getting the classic vertical streaks of dark carbon discoloration on the outside of the brass, your loads are likely too light. It makes a dirty mess of your gun too. Chrono them. I've reloaded .45 many many times that were likely reloaded many many times before I found them. I've never had a problem. .45 due to being such low pressure seem to almost last forever for me.
Old December 20, 2012, 09:26 PM   #6
amamnn

Just to see how well I could control the process with my induction heater, I annealed several handgun cases. The .45 acp. was the smallest case I tried. It works. Still I have not really seen a need to do it, even for cases with over a dozen firings........a propane torch could never work as exactly............(Induction Innovations Mini-Ductor I)

Last edited by amamnn; December 20, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old December 21, 2012, 12:37 AM   #7
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
If you're getting the classic vertical streaks of dark carbon discoloration on the outside of the brass, your loads are likely too light. It makes a dirty mess of your gun too.
Dirty yes I have noted that also.
Thanks for the input guys. I will take a look at the load. I know its not any where max. I think probably 4 gr Bullseye. w/ cast 220gr pills.
I used to run 4.5 gr. But had been trailing it off little by little.
I might try going back up a bit.
Old December 21, 2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Steel Talon

Quote:
Just to see how well I could control the process with my induction heater, I annealed several handgun cases. The .45 acp. was the smallest case I tried. It works. Still I have not really seen a need to do it, even for cases with over a dozen firings........a propane torch could never work as exactly............(Induction Innovations Mini-Ductor I)

How do you use that gadget to anneal your rifle brass????

Show some pics if you wouldnt mind...
Old December 21, 2012, 06:22 AM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
A pause for the COZ:Any one annealing 45acp brass?
Never. I don't have a need too. 45-acp brass is pretty common to find at my club range. Quite often left laying on the ground by its shooters. Mixed brands. But primarily Federal over all. Nickel & yellow both. A few splits found laying here and there. But mostly first fires. I dearly love those semi autos everyone seems to be shooting these days. I'll never run out of brass the way it looks._
Old December 21, 2012, 11:53 AM   #10
floydster

No.
Old December 21, 2012, 08:31 PM   #11
aumuddy

No need to anneal 45 Brass

I have reloaded 45's for over 25 years(1,000's of rounds). Over and over on the same brass without annealing. When one gets a crack I just throw it away. I wouldn't think annealing of any straight wall brass would be needed.